60 gallon new tank set up, when can I add discus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megglesmaniac

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thanks in advance for your help!!! New AA user here! :fish1:

I just set up my aquarium, it's been running for a week. I attached a pic of what it looked like before water/any fish were added. It's a 60 gallon freshwater tank and I plan to add live plants and discus fish (will be first time discus owner, but a lifetime aquarium enthusiast). I added the bacteria solution and 7 molly fish to speed up bacteria growth as it goes through its first cycle, with the knowledge that the mollies may die (the aquarium stores have told me this, but I figured better a $1.50 fish than a $70 discus!).

My question is, how long do I let the tank sit with 7 mollies swimming around it before I can add my planned discus?

Also, what tankmates can go with discus? I'm trying to decide whether I want an exclusively discus aquarium or if I want to add some other dudes in, like tetras.

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 57
There is no specific time frame. You'll need to get a test kit and test for ammonia. Once you see ammonia start testing for nitrites. Both of these will in high amounts kill your stock. Once nitrites have been established nitrates will come. Just to give you an idea I am cycling a 20 gallon tall right now. Only thing in the tank is the substrate and a HOB filter. Dose to 4ppm (dr tims pure ammonia) ammonia. Took a week to see nitrites. 2 weeks later still high nitrites no nitrates.

On a side not, a huge tank and not really a lot of fish waste you should buckle in and wait a long while before the cycle completes. I am doing a fish in cycle on a 55 gallon. I have 10 small fish in it. Its been 2 months. Little to no ammonia not even a trace of nitrites yet let alone nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom