60 Gallon tank too much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nomad1212

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
60 Gallon tank too heavy?

Hello all,

For a while now I've been meaning to upgrade from my small 20 Gallon tank to a larger tank 55/60 for a couple of goldfish that I have. But the one thing that is stopping me is the fear of my tank crashing through the floor of my third floor apartment.

Does anyone have some input on this? Am I being ridiculous? I did some research and it seems a 60 gallon tank would come out to be around 650 lbs with accessories included.

any advice would help,

thank you

Hello all,

For a while now I've been meaning to upgrade from my small 20 Gallon tank to a larger tank 55/60 for a couple of goldfish that I have. But the one thing that is stopping me is the fear of my tank crashing through the floor of my third floor apartment.

Does anyone have some input on this? Am I being ridiculous? I did some research and it seems a 60 gallon tank would come out to be around 650 lbs with accessories included.

any advice would help,

thank you

Well, if the flooring is that bad there would be a lot of people falling through the floor. A fish tank stand has a much bigger foot print than a human does; therefore, a human has more force per square inch in just their feet. I think that you are OK. I would worry more about getting a sturdy stand.

Thank you,

I've been looking into wood stands so with a 48x12" tank thats 4x1 ft, and that would be good?

On a side note, with a 60 gallon tank would goldfish require a heater? I know they like cold water but I am unsure as to how cold they can survive.

thanks!

Thank you,

I've been looking into wood stands so with a 48x12" tank thats 4x1 ft, and that would be good?

On a side note, with a 60 gallon tank would goldfish require a heater? I know they like cold water but I am unsure as to how cold they can survive.

thanks!

Goldfish require NO heater. A 60 gallon can hold two goldfish comfortably. They get big! I kept 2 fancy goldfish for almost 20 years in a 55 gallon. As far as the stand goes: ensure that it is sturdy.

IMO, go with a wooden stand made for your tank size. Wooden stands will have more surface contact area, thus reducing the pounds per square inch. Metal stands usually have 6 to 6 legs, so all the weight will be concentrated on the legs. Also, if you can, try to put the tank and stand against a load-bearing wall, such as a wall that faces the outside of the building.

IMO, go with a wooden stand made for your tank size. Wooden stands will have more surface contact area, thus reducing the pounds per square inch. Metal stands usually have 6 to 6 legs, so all the weight will be concentrated on the legs. Also, if you can, try to put the tank and stand against a load-bearing wall, such as a wall that faces the outside of the building.

Thank you, I will definitely get a wood stand. I also find them more aesthetically pleasing because I will be able to hide a canister filter etc underneath. Sadly though, I cannot have the tank on an outside wall of my apartment due to closets/ doors getting in the way. Does an inner wall work better? Do you know if 'load bearing walls' are on staircases?

Back
Top Bottom