6g nano start up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harryggumb

Aquarium Advice Freak
so i tried saltwater and that failed miserably to say the least. I was hoping that i would have a lot more luck with fresh water. What are some of the major steps i need to take in order to start this new tank? please help

Here is a list of great articles as a starting point

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...started-check-out-these-resources-154837.html

First off you need to decide how you are going to cycle your tank(great info in the above link) and you need to decide what kind of tank you want. a 6gal does not leave you with many options so you will need to do some research. If you plan to do a fishless cycle you can get that started right away and use this time to think about your tank a bit more.

I'm guessing you have your decor/tank/substrate and such from the saltwater attempt?

You can't fit alot of fish, but I'm sure you could keep some beautiful small ones. Tetras are small, and come in a bunch of different colours, also very easy to care for! But depends on size of terra for the amount of them !

The only things I know you can keep in a tank that small would be a single betta or you could do something like a shrimp tank.

Tetras are not an ok fit, although a lot are very small they require more space. They are very active fish and require more space to move, and cramming a suitable school in a tank that small just isn't feasible.

Neon tetras are not very active.. I have about 14 or so in my 55 with discus and they are not very active

Neon tetras are not very active.. I have about 14 or so in my 55 with discus and they are not very active

In my experience they are very active. I have a school in my 20 gal and they make use of the entire tank, they dart all over and make use of all levels. I don't know anyone that would recommend anything less than a 10 gal for them and honestly IMO that's too small.

tamtam said:
In my experience they are very active. I have a school in my 20 gal and they make use of the entire tank, they dart all over and make use of all levels. I don't know anyone that would recommend anything less than a 10 gal for them and honestly IMO that's too small.

Agreed, when I had them, they were fairly active. And they enjoy being in larger groups. Compounding the fact that a 6g is not big enough. I would say a male Endler with some shrimp might be nice.

Although I would suggest some plants.

The only things I know you can keep in a tank that small would be a single betta or you could do something like a shrimp tank.

Tetras are not an ok fit, although a lot are very small they require more space. They are very active fish and require more space to move, and cramming a suitable school in a tank that small just isn't feasible.

do betas need a filter??

IMO yes, and a heater most likely.

Some people feel they don't need one but IMO it's a necessity. It will not only be better for your betta but will make your life easier as well.

can i keep my live rock from my sw tank in there or will it harm the fish?

can i keep my live rock from my sw tank in there or will it harm the fish?

to be honest I can't say for sure.. I don't know much at all about saltwater..

I think it can be done, though not sure what needs to be done and if precautions need to be taken.. but I know it will effect the PH and hardness of your tank which may be an issue... especially with a small tank

Hopefully someone with a bit more experience on this can chime in.

tamtam said:
to be honest I can't say for sure.. I don't know much at all about saltwater..

I think it can be done, though not sure what needs to be done and if precautions need to be taken.. but I know it will effect the PH and hardness of your tank which may be an issue... especially with a small tank

Hopefully someone with a bit more experience on this can chime in.

Thank you and yes hopefully someone can help clear this up for me !!

You could ask your LFS to order special nano fish like chili rasboras, ember tetras, or jae barbs.

jbree13 said:

Hi there can I ask you about discus keeping I was hopefully going to buy 3 for my tank thanks

Hi there can I ask you about discus keeping I was hopefully going to buy 3 for my tank thanks
you'd be best off to start a new thread of your own, you are more likely to get responses that way. There are a few experienced Discus owners on this board that I'm sure could lend some advice.

Back
Top Bottom