72gal bowfront w aquaclear 110

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Poepoe923

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am fish less cycling a new 72 gal and have one aquaclear 110. Will the single AC be sufficient for the 72 or should I pick up another one. This is my first tank over 55 gal. I've had smaller ones for several years with no problems. It will probably be stocked with angels if the girlfriend has her way. I'd rather make it a cichlid tank but gotta keep momma happy ;).

Poepoe923 said:
I am fish less cycling a new 72 gal and have one aquaclear 110. Will the single AC be sufficient for the 72 or should I pick up another one. This is my first tank over 55 gal. I've had smaller ones for several years with no problems. It will probably be stocked with angels if the girlfriend has her way. I'd rather make it a cichlid tank but gotta keep momma happy ;).

My theory is this... You can never have enough filtration and the AC 110's I LOVE, you have so many options for media and of using 2 you can have one with one type of media and the other with some other type. Also if one goes down you'll have a back up. I run a 110 on my 75g even though I have a canister filter (fluval fx5) I use the 110 for different media of it calls for it. Right now I use it for the sponge and filter floss or poly floss, polishing pads. Something to pick up the very very fine particles that the fx5 may leave behind. Also I have the fx5's intake lower in my tank so the 110 intake is higher so I feel I'm getting a good filtration system and to help with flow and kicking up debris I use a Koralia power head rated at 1,000 gph just to keep the water moving.

Hope that helps you.

I could have just answered in short and said yes go with another :)

Thought a little background would help more ;)

Good luck with either way you go.

I run a penguin 150 or whatever it is and a sponge filter. In my 30 gallon. I like the idea of having 2 separate filters in case 1 should go bad.

Thanks for the info. I have looked at canisters and they seem a bit overwhelming (having never used one) Would running the ac110 and fx5 like you have be to much current if we go with Angels?

Poepoe923 said:
Thanks for the info. I have looked at canisters and they seem a bit overwhelming (having never used one) Would running the ac110 and fx5 like you have be to much current if we go with Angels?

IMO no it wouldn't. You can dial down the 110 it has a + and - on it and the fx5 I'd think would be just fine. You can turn the outlets more upwards if you see your fish struggling in the current but I have them both plus the power head and my African cichlids are just fine. Mostly lake Malawi.

I'd say you'd be fine. But I have a overstocked tank that's the reason I went the canister and 110 combo.

I may go that route that would give me a lot more filtration.

Funds are not an issue at this point (b day money) so if I am going to do it it's got to be before something else claims it. Having 0 experience with canisters is the fx5 relatively "user friendly" I understand this hobby has work involved but I enjoy it because of the benefits but if I am going to come home to a flooded living room (or flood it myself cleaning the canister) ill stick with HOBs.

Poepoe923 said:
Funds are not an issue at this point (b day money) so if I am going to do it it's got to be before something else claims it. Having 0 experience with canisters is the fx5 relatively "user friendly" I understand this hobby has work involved but I enjoy it because of the benefits but if I am going to come home to a flooded living room (or flood it myself cleaning the canister) ill stick with HOBs.

It's very easy. I was a little taken back when it arrived but after staring at the box for an hour I just jumped right in 15 minutes and I was done, installed and running. You'll have no problem.

Thank you for your help would u mind PMing me info on your media set up I don't want to make this into a fx5 media thread. I still want to hear opinions if there are any for a second AC over the fx5.

Back
Top Bottom