75 gal. Nitrite problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce033

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I have a 75 gallon freshwater tank thats been set up for about a month. When a first started up my nitrites were stressed. I put 4 plants in then I did a fish cycle with 8 giant danios and a red tail shark.( I kept a close eye on them to make sure they didn't stress to much). Everything was looking good besides my nitrites. I did multiple water changes hoping that would do it. Then i bought a pleco because there was some algae and I figures if food wasn't getting eaten he would take care of it. And after a week the nitrites were still high but the fish don't seem stressed. I closely inspected the tank looking for any cause and noticed my plants were dead/dieing. So I quickly removed them. Its been about another since and they still seem high. My question is, is what am I doing wrong and how can I change it.

I use jungle test strips ( haven't been able to get my hands on an API freshwater test kit.)

I have a bio ball filtration system.

You wait. You will wake up and the nitrites will be gone one day. The cycle will finish itself just keep doing water changes.

Oh and, that pleco won't solve your algae problem. They produce much more waste than anything. If you are having been an algae problem there's a different underlying issue and likely an easy fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't think I have an algae problem. I just noticed some green algae on some of my rocks. Nothing big though. BTW in your opinion how long does an average cycle take?

There's many variables, did you use any seeded media or start from scratch?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I used my dads old filter system from his salt water tank but I rinsed it really good. So best category would be scratch. I used new media just old bio balls.

Dang. Are nitrites normally the last to level off. Because if nitrites weren't listed (yes I know they are very important) my water would read perfect.

Dang. Are nitrites normally the last to level off. Because if nitrites weren't listed (yes I know they are very important) my water would read perfect.

Yes. Nitrites will drop off and you will be left with nitrates.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom