75 gallon aquarium stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelLover1324

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone! I bought a 75 gallon aquarium a few weeks ago and it’s got live plants. I want to add angels but I don’t know how many and what to add with them...maybe some Corys or a Bristlenose Pleco? Tetras? I could REALLY use some help...

Rough estimate.......6 Angels, 6 to 8 Cory cats, and 6 to 8 black skirt tetra (or any full bodied tetra).

Or.....6 Angels, 2 bristlenose plecos (any of the 5-6 inch pleco types), and 6 to 8 black skirt tetra (full bodied tetra).

I say full bodied....bigger round tetra because they will survive with Angels. The slimmer...pencil shaped tetras can be eaten by a full grown Angel.

There's obviously several combinations of different fish but there's some 2 cents on what you listed.

Possibly. I've never experienced that and I keep them with my Angel. Maybe depends on the particar fish??

You don't have to go with black skirt. You could find another full bodied tetra you like and go with that.

Then I guess that might work, what if I added 2x Bolivian rams? Or something like that?

Okay, I researched some more... what about some lemon tetras? And a Dwarf Gourami would the Gourami work or would that be too much?

Last edited:
Bolivian Rams would work. You could keep more than two.

I'd go with Pearl or honey Gourami. Stay away from dwarf....they inherently have problems

How many Bolivian rams could I put into it? I’m not sure if I want to do 6x angels. But how many honey or pearls could I incorporate?

Are you wanting to add these fish with your Angels?

You don't have to put 6. I was just giving you a max number with the other fish you listed.

I've never kept Bolivian Rams but are definitely on my list. I'd say you could keep 8 max in your tank. Not that they get real big but they need space to establish territory. This number changes if you are mixing with Angels. The thing about Rams is they pair up. So getting them to pair and not gang up on the odd man out is the trick. A member named Coral Bandit is knowledgeable in keeping Rams. You might send him a PM.

I'd say 6 pearl or honey Gourami. Again, one male per female or one male for two females.

Sparkling Gourami's can be kept in larger groups. They are smaller and more peaceful. Just an idea.

Okay so here’s my list so far
4x angels
5x Bolivian rams
12x lemon tetras
4x pearl or honey Gouramis
7x Corys
Would that all be overcrowding the aquarium or not?

Last edited:
Your biggest concern with that stock is territorial aggression more than how many fish you can fit in a tank. As far as number of fish go you aren't overstocked....maxed out though...but the Angels, Rams, and Gourami will establish territory and that's when the fighting begins.

My suggestion would be this......2 Angels, 2 Rams, 2 honey or pearl gourami, 8 Cory's, and 12 Lemon Tetras.

Once you see how this stock behaves with each other then maybe later....say a year... you can try adding to the stock of Angels, Rams, and Gourami's.

A peaceful tank is an enjoyable one.

I have a 60 g for about a year with 4 angels and 5 sterbai corydora. I think 5-6 angels would probably be fine in a 4' tank though.

I've been considering a bristlenose as the algae grows like crazy with my lights (on 12 hours)... But I kind of like the natural look :)

20180801_222646.jpg

I have a 60 g for about a year with 4 angels and 5 sterbai corydora. I think 5-6 angels would probably be fine in a 4' tank though.

I've been considering a bristlenose as the algae grows like crazy with my lights (on 12 hours)... But I kind of like the natural look :)

View attachment 310670
Get like 6 nerite snails or mystery snails. They'll clean that up within a week.

Really nice looking tank! So what if I just did an angelfish tank should I just get 5x angels and some bottom feeders .or tetras? :fish2:

Going off your original ideas.....6 Angels, Cory's, and tetras should work for you. Add them all as juveniles together and your chances of peace in the tank increases.

Back
Top Bottom