75 gallon Cycling Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boilerwxman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It appears my 75 gallon tank is cycled.

I knew I was getting close with high Nitrites and Nitrates. Did a water change to get the Nitrites to a readable level. Went every other day to add ammonia to 5ppm. Then this last Saturday I added my Ammonia in the afternoon. I checked my levels (Nitrite and Ammonia) 12 hours later my Nitrites were very high Ammonia had gone from 5ppm to around 1 ppm) by 24 hours they were both 0.

I take this as I am cycled. Now here is my main question, I can't stock this tank until this weekend so should I just go every other day adding ammonia to 5ppm and then do my last water change before the fish arrive so it is ready to go?

Thanks. I want to know how to keep my tank cycled for a week before I get the fish...

Yep, continue dosing ammonia daily until the day before you plan on getting fish. As long as your tank can steadily zero out the ammonia in 24hrs for a few days straight, its safe to say your cycled. Just make sure you do atleast 100% wc (or two) to drop your nitrates down to your tap level & skip the ammonia to prep your tank the day before getting fish. If your temp is cranked up, start dropping this by a degree or two each day until its at the temp you plan on keeping your fish. :)

Back
Top Bottom