75 Gallon Stock Ideas (Serpae Tetras included)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smilemadeofsun

Aquarium Advice Activist
My fiance and I are looking to get a good community tank going because our aquatic turtles are just starting to get a little big for their 75 gallon tank, so we are upgrading them to big pond tubs that are 100 gallons, with more depth for our them to swim down. Anyway, back to fish!

Once we move our turtles over, and thoroughly clean our tank, what are some good ideas for a 75 gallon community? Right now we have 5 serpae tetras in a 10 gallon tank, and are looking to include them in the larger tank and get a decent sized school going. What are some good stocking ideas for a 75 gallon tank that would include serpaes? I know they can be fin nippers but I also heard that if they have a decent sized school going (I'm thinking maybe 9) they mostly keep to themselves. I would really appreciate anyone's advice because I am relatively new to this, but am thoroughly enjoying myself so far!

I had this reccomended to me by someone. Any thoughts? I'd appreciate any advice you guys might have :)

"10 serpae tetras
7 Corydoras and/or 10 otocinclus
2-4 German Blue Rams or Bolivian rams
And, as a centerpiece school, 5 rainbow fish."

I second the Rainbowfish idea. Mine are beautiful, fairly easy keepers and active.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I added serpaes tetra to an older tank that had a bolivian ram. I took them out quickly. They were like my piranha wanna-be's.

So I kept them in a 20 by themselves. Maybe in 75 it won't be as bad. The ram was in a 55g when I added the serpae tetras. Or maybe it was just the school that I got that were so aggressive. Just be cautious when having the Rams and the serpae tetras.

From what I've read, serpae tetras may feed on the fins or scales of some fish so I would select tankmates that can stand up for themselves.

I added serpaes tetra to an older tank that had a bolivian ram. I took them out quickly. They were like my piranha wanna-be's.

So I kept them in a 20 by themselves. Maybe in 75 it won't be as bad. The ram was in a 55g when I added the serpae tetras. Or maybe it was just the school that I got that were so aggressive. Just be cautious when having the Rams and the serpae tetras.

Ok, good to know! Thanks for the heads up. I will have to monitor that if I ultimately end up going down this route...

Back
Top Bottom