75 gallon tank, needs parts, and im confused.:)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frankenberry

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My brother is giving me a 75 gallon tank that he planned to use for his iguana but never did. It has a wooden stand, and a wooden top...

Problem is its just the tank. There are no top glass peices (called canopies, I am guessing?) and lights. I am sure the answer to this is quite simple but I am not really sure what to buy to replace these.

I looked at the canopies online, they are quite expensive, is there anywhere else to find them at a better price than google? How do I know the right size to buy? I do not have the aquarium in my possession just yet (in a storage unit far away), so I cannot measure. I know the aquarium is 75 gallons, the longer tank, as opposed to the higher 75 gallon, and there is a plastic strip that runs down the middle. So I guess I need two glass canopies as opposed to the long one?

Is there a place that sells the glass parts and lights as a deal? Is there somewhere that sells them used for cheaper?

I'm moving in a week, and want to transfer my parrot fish (in a 30 gallon tank) into this tank so I was hoping to order the parts online or buy them before I move, because when I move is when my brother will deliver the tank.

I hope this wasn't too confusing!

Assuming it is a standard 75 48"x18"x21" it will use two glass canopies and they are sold as a set for about $30. Probably would have to order this.

You would then need a 48" aquarium light. Very common, check craigslist.

They used to make a hood with lights included but I am not sure they do anymore. The glass canopies are a lot nicer than the hood anyway.

Thank you for your time!

When buying lights, is there a brand I should avoid? Or a brand that is recommendable, type of bulb. etc.? Would I need led? I just saw led when I searched, and t5 lighting, whatever that is. I can honestly say I know nada about lights. (quite apparent huh? hah)

It depends what you are trying to accomplish.

If you just want to see your fish than any light will do. If you want to grow plants you will need a full spectrum light and more light than a cheapo light will provide.

T8 lighting is you standard florescent light that have been around for many years.
T5 is a different type of florescent lighting that comes in a normal(he) and high output(ho). The he lights are energy efficient and the ho lights put out a lot of light. Not needed in most situations.
Compact Florescent lights are in between the he and ho T5 lighting and provide a decent amount of light.
LED's come in all shapes and sizes and don't require the replacing of bulbs but they are expensive.

A little more information on what you are trying to accomplish would help with a recommendation.
You want a single 48" light.

I am just planning to put some gravel, fake plants, small decor, my parrot fish, and a sucker fish (if they get along, ill have to google that, my work has two giant sucker fish and wants to pawn one off on me, but I have had my parrot fish for 6 years now and im not sure if he will adjust to having a tank mate when he has never had one).

So, I guess cheap lighting would be fine in that case? I just want to light the tank for a few hours a day. I also don't want to put many (or any) fish in there because I'm not sure of my parrot fish' emotional status to it. (he does have feelings I swear haha)

He has outgrown his 30 gallon tank massively. A real big boy, I thought it would be a treat for him to have some roaming room.

I just bought a house so the budget is low. Real low.

:thanks:

Buy the cheapest light you can. Typically you can find 48" T8 lights on craigslist since they come with 55 gallon aquarium kits.

The cheapest thing I could find on craiglist without having to drive halfway across the state of florida was:

48" Wavepoint HO T5 Fluorescent 2 Lamp Lighting system.
Ballast needs to be replaced as light doesn't light.
50 or best offer.

Is this a good deal? I of course have no idea what a ballast is, and I know I do not need a fancy light like this as previous discussed, but it seems to be the cheapest thing I can find. Unless the replacement part is a fortune of course.

Thank you for taking time out of your day to help me, it is very appreciated.

Probably not worth it. The ballast will be costly and that is more light than you will need.

Let me see what I can find for you.

Back
Top Bottom