75 Gallon Upgrade Help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Aquaforce

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone, its been awhile since I have posted on here, miss talking to my fellow aquarium addicts [emoji225] [emoji226] [emoji225]

Okay so I snagged a 75 gallon from my LFS for 70 bucks, plan on resealing it once its finally warmer than sub-zero temps. [emoji58] [emoji58]

So the current plan I have, going to use my 55 gal that is currently established ATM as my sump tank for the 75 gal. Thinking of adding overflows & outputs to both corners... or one corner or build a over flow box on the back of the tank? Then what do i do for water intake towards the subscrate? struggling a little on what design to lean towards for that, as I will be having my tank full of plants.

This is my first time building a sump and transferring all of my fish to the 75.. really could appricate any input.

An overflow in the middle or on one side would be fine. I'm not sure what you are asking about water flow and the substrate. You don't need any water flow at the bottom if you vacuum your tank while changing water. The sump will do a good job of filtering the rest of the water

An overflow in the middle or on one side would be fine. I'm not sure what you are asking about water flow and the substrate. You don't need any water flow at the bottom if you vacuum your tank while changing water. The sump will do a good job of filtering the rest of the water
Okay thank you!

There are many ways to build an overflow from the best [Bean animal ] to a simple PVC pipe..
Since your willing to drill the sky is the limit..
I like the new eshopps eclipse overflows..They come with templateand drill bit for installation...Pretty simple.
http://r.search.aol.com/_ylt=A0LEV0...lipse-l//RK=0/RS=x4ATi.UNgdSM_yRF.IBH2n_8G2w-
I think the 55 is going to be too tall to be easy to work on / if at all in your stand [ask me how I know?]...

A 55g will be a bit large to fit under a 75g, you will have to custom build a stand just to fit it.

Hen youre using a sump It's best to use multiple sources of water flow in the tank such as a power head to keep the substrate clean.

It is a bit large, i was planning on shaving down one side of the 4x4 studs underneath the tank on each corner, only shaving down 1" making it a "3×4". Kinda like making a notch to slide in the 55 gal sump. Hope that wasn't to confusing.... ??

It is lower and easier to access under the tank..
The 55 is likely to be so tall getting anything in or out will be a PIA..
They make 33 longs that have same foot print of 55 but only12"tall..
That would be easiest yet with only a 12" width most sponges could fit easily.
The 18" wide sump has some disadvantages that must be dealt with.The biggest issue is 18" wide baffles unless you divide it or section it properly.
I dropped a 10G turtle tank in a 30b and it was a great sump..

33 long it is! I suppose a 29 would be fine?? I suggested a 40b because I thought you were after max volume

Back
Top Bottom