75g Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankMan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay so here is my rough draft for my 75gallon FW setup. I want to make this as close to the wild as possible (so some predatory/food chain might occur, but that's life IMO). The characteristics of the tank will be an average lighting T5 HO 6.5k (ish) bulb. No CO2 but maybe a DIY system later on, who knows. _________________________________________

Plants:

Hornwort (Floating)
Duckweed
Water Sprite (Floating)
Amazon Sword
Hornwort
Anubias (Attached)
*Preferably some kind of carpet plant* (Help me)
Ludwigia
*Any other thoughts?*

Guppies?
Mollies
Platies
Tiger Barbs
Otos
Corys (DUH)
Ghost Shrimp
Snails (non plant eaters)
Dwarf/(Non-Dwarf) Gouramis'
*Any other thoughts?*

Things to Know:

• I would like some sort of power head to simulate some sort of water flow, it doesn't have to be powerful.
• I will allow natural breeding to occur, as well as natural eating of some fry. If it gets too crowded, I do have numerous 10g tanks to keep, or give to LFS for credit.
• Any thoughts on substrate?

REMEMBER LETS HAVE FUN AND ENJOY OUR ECOSYSTEM :)

Thank you ;)

TankMan said:
Okay so here is my rough draft for my 75gallon FW setup. I want to make this as close to the wild as possible (so some predatory/food chain might occur, but that's life IMO). The characteristics of the tank will be an average lighting T5 HO 6.5k (ish) bulb. No CO2 but maybe a DIY system later on, who knows. _________________________________________

Plants:

Hornwort (Floating)
Duckweed
Water Sprite (Floating)
Amazon Sword
Hornwort
Anubias (Attached)
*Preferably some kind of carpet plant* (Help me)
Ludwigia
*Any other thoughts?*

Guppies?
Mollies
Platies
Tiger Barbs
Otos
Corys (DUH)
Ghost Shrimp
Snails (non plant eaters)
Dwarf/(Non-Dwarf) Gouramis'
*Any other thoughts?*

Things to Know:

• I would like some sort of power head to simulate some sort of water flow, it doesn't have to be powerful.
• I will allow natural breeding to occur, as well as natural eating of some fry. If it gets too crowded, I do have numerous 10g tanks to keep, or give to LFS for credit.
• Any thoughts on substrate?

REMEMBER LETS HAVE FUN AND ENJOY OUR ECOSYSTEM :)

Thank you ;)

Part of your stock is similar to mine. I have guppies,platies, otos, Cories and dwarf gourami . No aggression problems what so ever . I really like your stock. !!
For stocking I'd stock:
4 guppies 1M 3F
3 mollies 1m 2f
3 platies 1m 2f
10 tiger barbs
4-6 otos ( just make sure you have no trouble feeding them wafers)
8-10 panda Cories ( my favourite fish)
8 ghost shrimp
3 nerite snails
4 dwarf gourami 1m 3f or just one male

For substrate I would do sand because the Cories would appreciate it. Good luck!

If you wanna help your plants out you could go with Flourite or a similar substrate. For a carpeting plant (depending on lighting intensity) Dwarf Saggiturus is a pretty good specie for the job. They carpet, but aren't as high demanding as other carpeting varieties like Baby Tears. Sounds like a good tank to me!

Also, stocking-wise I agree with the numbers Samtzer has put up. Throw some MTS in there for good measure though.

Watch out for that Duckweed though! Takes over. Aren't you worried that the high amount of floating plants my subdue your rooted plants?

Predfan27 said:
If you wanna help your plants out you could go with Flourite or a similar substrate. For a carpeting plant (depending on lighting intensity) Dwarf Saggiturus is a pretty good specie for the job. They carpet, but aren't as high demanding as other carpeting varieties like Baby Tears. Sounds like a good tank to me!

Also, stocking-wise I agree with the numbers Samtzer has put up. Throw some MTS in there for good measure though.

Watch out for that Duckweed though! Takes over. Aren't you worried that the high amount of floating plants my subdue your rooted plants?

Mts? What is that? And I would constantly monitor the duckweed, it won't be allowed to take up over a quarter of the 864 square inches of surface area.

MTS is Malaysian Trumpet Snails. I keep them in all my tanks. They don't eat plants, and they aerated the soil because they burrow.

Predfan27 said:
MTS is Malaysian Trumpet Snails. I keep them in all my tanks. They don't eat plants, and they aerated the soil because they burrow.

Doesnt the mts end up heavily populating ur tank...i have considered gettin these myself but was told to stay away from them n only get nerite if i didnt want tons of snails...might just be misguided info though..

kjacks said:
Doesnt the mts end up heavily populating ur tank...i have considered gettin these myself but was told to stay away from them n only get nerite if i didnt want tons of snails...might just be misguided info though..

They will reproduce like gangbusters but in a properly conditioned tank, you shouldn't see them at all. They burrow during the day. And as long as you don't over feed your fish, the snail population wont get out of hand. And if the population is big, it still doesn't matter that much because they are pretty helpful lil guys.

What's really cool about them is that they livebear. So you'll see lil MTS around.

Samzter said:
Part of your stock is similar to mine. I have guppies,platies, otos, Cories and dwarf gourami . No aggression problems what so ever . I really like your stock. !!
For stocking I'd stock:
4 guppies 1M 3F
3 mollies 1m 2f
3 platies 1m 2f
10 tiger barbs
4-6 otos ( just make sure you have no trouble feeding them wafers)
8-10 panda Cories ( my favourite fish)
8 ghost shrimp
3 nerite snails
4 dwarf gourami 1m 3f or just one male

For substrate I would do sand because the Cories would appreciate it. Good luck!

Hey, do you know if ghost shrimp can live with tiger barbs? The barbs won't pick or eat them

Well, I'm not entirely sure on that one. They may peck at them or eat them . They probably will lol. Unless you provide lots of cover For them.

Luckily Ghost Shrimp are usually a little big to fit into your fishes mouths (until the fish mature). That being said, that won't stop the fish from stressing the Shrimp to death. I would advise against the Shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom