75g Stock... OK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankMan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Background: 75g FW Tank
Play Sand Substrate
Two AC110's
Planted

Does this stock sound possible?

• 8 Dwarf Cory's of some sort
• 2 or 3 Dwarf Gourami's (1 male 1/2 females)
• 8 Ghost Shrimp
• 8 Tiger Barbs? (this is my main question. 3 males 5 females)
• 4 guppies (1 male 3 females)
• 2 Red Wag Platy's
• 1 Rainbow shark ( my other main question)
• 3 Mystery Snails
Is this overstocked/impossible? Please help me, I'm very nervous about the stock. :Banghead: :(

Background: 75g FW Tank
Play Sand Substrate
Two AC110's
Planted

Does this stock sound possible?

• 8 Dwarf Cory's of some sort
• 2 or 3 Dwarf Gourami's (1 male 1/2 females)
• 8 Ghost Shrimp
• 8 Tiger Barbs? (this is my main question. 3 males 5 females)
• 4 guppies (1 male 3 females)
• 2 Red Wag Platy's
• 1 Rainbow shark ( my other main question)

Is this overstocked/impossible? Please help me, I'm very nervous about the stock. :Banghead: :(

It sounds alright, but I think there are some improvements that you can make!

First, the corydoras: don't get the dwarf kinds because you'll never be able to see them and the rainbow shark will probably kill them. If you get corydoras go for the bigger, tougher kind. Get ones like the emerald, peppered, albino, etc.

Second, the tiger barbs: this is the big issue, IMO. The tiger barbs might tear up the guppies' tails even though they are in a larger group. They also might terrorize the Dwarf Gouramis because they are smaller and they have some fins that hang down and are very tantalizing for the barbs.

Third, the shrimp: These will probably end up being food with all the aggressive fish around (i.e. the rainbow shark, tiger barbs and even the gouramis). So I wouldn't add them unless you want to feed the fish;)

This is just an addition: I'm not sure if you're going to be able to find the female dwarf gouramis, they are very hard to find because most pet stores don't like selling dull looking fish. But bon chance!

AquaKai said:
It sounds alright, but I think there are some improvements that you can make!

First, the corydoras: don't get the dwarf kinds because you'll never be able to see them and the rainbow shark will probably kill them. If you get corydoras go for the bigger, tougher kind. Get ones like the emerald, peppered, albino, etc.

Second, the tiger barbs: this is the big issue, IMO. The tiger barbs might tear up the guppies' tails even though they are in a larger group. They also might terrorize the Dwarf Gouramis because they are smaller and they have some fins that hang down and are very tantalizing for the barbs.

Third, the shrimp: These will probably end up being food with all the aggressive fish around (i.e. the rainbow shark, tiger barbs and even the gouramis). So I wouldn't add them unless you want to feed the fish;)

This is just an addition: I'm not sure if you're going to be able to find the female dwarf gouramis, they are very hard to find because most pet stores don't like selling dull looking fish. But bon chance!

Okay, so if I changed to emerald Cory's and no tiger barbs, as well as changed toe shrimp to Amano shrimp. Would that be good (then I would have to find a replacement for the tiger barbs)

TankMan said:
Okay, so if I changed to emerald Cory's and no tiger barbs, as well as changed toe shrimp to Amano shrimp. Would that be good (then I would have to find a replacement for the tiger barbs)

That sounds good to me. If you live in England Maidenhead aquatics sell female dwarf gourami. Mine are for breeding purposes though. I love anamo shrimp! I have 3 and I love them to pieces. Mine are hogs. They steal food off fish! Lol. I would do like 15 panda Cories in that tank.

Yes that sounds great. There are tons of different tetras, rasboras and danios that would be a great replacement for the barbs!

Mhm. I'm in love with the barbs. Is this good?

7-8 Emerald Cory's
8 Tiger Barbs (3 M 5 F)
1 Rainbow Shark
2 Red wag Platy's
2 Painted Platy's
3 Mystery Snail's
*Some kind of Shrimp*?

Basically my problem is I love the look of a tiger barb, are there any other types of fish that look like them that aren't as violent?

TankMan said:
Mhm. I'm in love with the barbs. Is this good?

7-8 Emerald Cory's
8 Tiger Barbs (3 M 5 F)
1 Rainbow Shark
2 Red wag Platy's
2 Painted Platy's
3 Mystery Snail's
*Some kind of Shrimp*?

Basically my problem is I love the look of a tiger barb, are there any other types of fish that look like them that aren't as violent?

Yeah that's great. IMO you even have some wiggle room and can add a few more fish. I don't know of any fish like them that aren't aggressive, sorry. I too love their look but I love my angels more;). You could go for a cichlid in there, one of the dwarf kinds if you want another fish to take place of the gouramis. Apistos are great, as are keyholes and rams.

To be honest, I think I have a decent amount of wiggle room (in terms of the preset bioload, NOT in terms of compatibility) but maybe I'm just excited. Lol

TankMan said:
To be honest, I think I have a decent amount of wiggle room (in terms of the preset bioload, NOT in terms of compatibility) but maybe I'm just excited. Lol

You're right with the wiggle room:). And yes be excited, be VERY excited. This is why stocking is my favorite part of fish keeping, all the possibilities are just so much fun. And once you get 'the stock' it seems like everything fits together!

AquaKai said:
You're right with the wiggle room:). And yes be excited, be VERY excited. This is why stocking is my favorite part of fish keeping, all the possibilities are just so much fun. And once you get 'the stock' it seems like everything fits together!

Thanks! BTW, Congrats on Benjamin! He's beautiful and your Walmart story was SO FRIKING TRUE OMG. Lol. I cannot go near the cups or else I will be inclined to purchase.....purchase...... Aaannndddd purchase.

Freakgecko91 said:
5 banded barbs, look like tigers, but stay smaller and are peaceful

..... You ... My man... Just saved me. Hmm, are they hard to find for you?

TankMan said:
..... You ... My man... Just saved me. Hmm, are they hard to find for you?

I just looked them up and they're not hard to find. Wetspot tropical fish have them for sale for $3 for one and $25 for 10.

TankMan said:
Thanks! BTW, Congrats on Benjamin! He's beautiful and your Walmart story was SO FRIKING TRUE OMG. Lol. I cannot go near the cups or else I will be inclined to purchase.....purchase...... Aaannndddd purchase.

Thanks! He is swimming around being a happy little betta right now. Just wait until he gets some frozen blood worms, that'll be good:). I couldn't help but see him so yeah it was a purchase, especially when I saw he was a halfmoon:)

AquaKai said:
I just looked them up and they're not hard to find. Wetspot tropical fish have them for sale for $3 for one and $25 for 10.

Thanks! He is swimming around being a happy little betta right now. Just wait until he gets some frozen blood worms, that'll be good:). I couldn't help but see him so yeah it was a purchase, especially when I saw he was a halfmoon:)

That's awesome to hear (the accessibility of the fish ... But more importantly of your half moon) I had a half moon named Tyson... He was incredible.

7-8 Five Banded Barbs
1 Rainbow Shark
7-8 Emerald Cory's
3 Snails
2 Red Wag Platy's
2 Painted Platy's
5 Amano Shrimp
2 Bolivian Rams? <-- new question.

TankMan said:
7-8 Five Banded Barbs
1 Rainbow Shark
7-8 Emerald Cory's
3 Snails
2 Red Wag Platy's
2 Painted Platy's
5 Amano Shrimp

I think that sounds great, although someone else might have some opinions so listen to them as well:)

TankMan said:
7-8 Five Banded Barbs
1 Rainbow Shark
7-8 Emerald Cory's
3 Snails
2 Red Wag Platy's
2 Painted Platy's
5 Amano Shrimp

Yeah that stock looks good!

Back
Top Bottom