75g Ugrade!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankMan

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I was planning on purchasing a 55g; however, the wonderful world of Craigslist bestowed on me a 75g with beautiful wooden stand for a lot less.... So... I have a question (or two).

What would be a good filter(s) for this tank? I am a 17 year old so I'm not a HUGE spender... But I am willing to splurge.

Why would be a good heater? Should I have more than one?

What would be a good lighting option for low/medium plants? And substrate?

THANK YOU SO MUCH. :)

On my 75 I use a SunSun304B, it works wonderfully and is a fraction of the cost of big brand names. I have one MJ400 power head that I only turn on for a couple of hours after a water change. I use one Via-Aqua Titanium 300watt heater. Substrate is 50 pounds of black blasting sand and 20 pounds of Eco-Complete (for texture mostly). Lighting is just a single strip T8 fixture with an 8000k full spectrum daylight bulb. Plants grow nicely with minimal fertilization. The following pic is after trimming the plants a couple days ago as it was getting out of hand, especially the Wisteria.

Attachments

• image-4149249746.jpg
    image-4149249746.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 75
blert said:
On my 75 I use a SunSun304B, it works wonderfully and is a fraction of the cost of big brand names. I have one MJ400 power head that I only turn on for a couple of hours after a water change. I use one Via-Aqua Titanium 300watt heater. Substrate is 50 pounds of black blasting sand and 20 pounds of Eco-Complete (for texture mostly). Lighting is just a single strip T8 fixture with an 8000k full spectrum daylight bulb. Plants grow nicely with minimal fertilization. The following pic is after trimming the plants a couple days ago as it was getting out of hand, especially the Wisteria.

All I can say is WOW! That is an incredible tank you have there. Truly beautiful.

I am going to HAVE to ask you a few more questions now.... Please don't get mad at a curious child ;) lol

Where did you buy the light and light fixture? How much was the power head and where was it purchased? And finally, how long did it take to get those plants that large. ..... Sorry >.<

Thanks!

The light was with the tank when I picked it up.
The power head I got for like $20 at a LFS.

I have no recent before/ after pics but, of the following pics, the first one was taken on March 13th(ish) and the second on May 4th. The pic above was taken a couple of days ago. Have trimmed many times over the months.

Attachments

• image-3602679367.jpg
    image-3602679367.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 61
  • image-516350467.jpg
    image-516350467.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 60
blert said:
Thanks!

The light was with the tank when I picked it up.
The power head I got for like $20 at a LFS.

I have no recent before/ after pics but, of the following pics, the first one was taken on March 13th(ish) and the second on May 4th. The pic above was taken a couple of days ago. Have trimmed many times over the months.

What ferts do you use? And how often? :)

TankMan said:
What ferts do you use? And how often? :)

AquariumPlants.com Total (no phosphate) root tabs about once a month or so.
AquariumPlants.com Total concentrate micro mix seven drops once a week after 50% PWC.
Brightwell FlorinMulti six drops daily if I remember.

blert said:
AquariumPlants.com Total (no phosphate) root tabs about once a month or so.
AquariumPlants.com Total concentrate micro mix seven drops once a week after 50% PWC.
Brightwell FlorinMulti six drops daily if I remember.

Woah. Quite the fertilizer there ;) nice!

TankMan said:
Woah. Quite the fertilizer there ;) nice!
It's not bad. Mostly, if I remember I dose. And if the Crypts are doing good I skip the root tabs for the month. It's nothing compared to the schedule for my T5HO tanks. Those tanks have CO2 injection and dry ferts as per an EI schedule.

TankMan said:
Is that jungle Val in the right corner?
No, it's Hygrophila Corymbosa "Angustifolia".

Here's a pic from one of my other tanks. Right hand side.
If you want closer it will have to be later as I'm at the park with the kids right now.

Attachments

• image-2429393687.jpg
    image-2429393687.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 43
Here ya go, close up. It does very well in a low light system and grows very fast in high light.

Attachments

• image-3846134031.jpg
    image-3846134031.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 56
Back
Top Bottom