8' plywood tank (200+gallons)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrc8858

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok guys, I know a few of you have been waiting for me to make this thread so here it is. The Festae tank is about to be underway. Before I began building though figure ill bounce some ideas around and discuss it so that I'm not regretting not doing something by the time I am finished. The plans are 7'x2.5'x18" (196 gallons). I would like to have a dual overflow setup one on each side running to either A my sump or B my refugium. Each of which will have its own return pump.the sump and fuge I plan on making right around 50 gallons a piece. For lighting ill probably get some of the marineland LEDs and just retrofit the fixtures to the canopy. When its all said and done I plan on making this look like a piece of furniture all done up with trim and stain. Also I should put out there that the measurements I'm looking at by no means are set in stone. When I begin building ill end up going as wide front to back as my front door will allow because I do want to have the option of moving it all in one piece if I decide to move in the future so it may have to be cut back a few inches front to back. As for the height of the stand I would like to have the tank bottom at around 4' so that there will be no bending over to see the fish it'll be eye level pretty much. Well Ill stop here and leave it open for discussion and ill be off to get the 2x4s, 4x4s and 2x6s for framing sometime in the next week.

I would put some wheels on it for easy moving.

No wheels.. I don't trust that at all. If anything when moving ill put it on sliders and drain it which it should be no different then moving a large entertainment stand. The canopy will be easily removeable to help take down weight and size during a potential move as well

Also, opinions and ideas on stocking would be nice to. My plan so far is a large school of silver dollars maybe some clown loaches and my festae. Just keep in mind this tank will be focused around my Festae as its the only reason I'm even building this tank lmao.

at first i thought this was gonna be a SW tank! lol but sweet, a giant FW tank is awesome too... ill be following :)

God a sw tank this size would break the bank cause it would most definitely be a reef haha with the other "project" I have about to be underway ill be able to setup some reef tanks on other people's money anyways lmao

God a sw tank this size would break the bank cause it would most definitely be a reef haha with the other "project" I have about to be underway ill be able to setup some reef tanks on other people's money anyways lmao

thats gonna be awesome if that pulls thru man lol not gonna lie, im a little jealous haha

Well the "inner circle" on here (you know who you are lol) will most definetly get the "friends & family" pricing on pretty much everything maybe some bonuses in any shipments too ;)

Well the "inner circle" on here (you know who you are lol) will most definetly get the "friends & family" pricing on pretty much everything maybe some bonuses in any shipments too ;)

now im really excited for this to happen!! yayyyy :)

Do you know how tall your going to make the stand?
I hate the store stands because of the height of them. When I built my stand I made it at 45" and its perfect. If you needed an idea lol, by the way I'm 5'10. Then I had to buy a 3 step ladder and a broom handle. I cut the broom handle in half to attach to my siphon cleaner and the other half I attached plexi glass to stir up the sand with. They work great if you needed some ideas. I also use a long handled grabber thingy to pick up rocks or anything on the bottom. Let me just say I almost never have to get my hands wet.

Anyways for under the tank its nice having a higher stand. As you know the more room when running sumps is awesome and now I will never have it any other way. Heck I custom made my sump and was able to put some of the sump up off the bottom so I can store stuff under it then it drains to a refugium on the other side. I have over a 1000 gph pond pump on mine and wish i would have had two so I'd keep that idea in your head aswell with the two overflows.

Haha that's the end for now that I can think of if any of it makes since. I kinda typed as I was thinking and kept thinking of new stuff to say. Oh well sorry for all the jumping around

Edit
I edited it some lol :)

Last edited:
Ya the stand will be 48" tall :) I love tall stands for the obvious reasons of viewing pleasure and sumps. Great idea for siphoning though... That's been my main concern cause I don't feel like going swimming to clean my tank lmao.

Ya the stand will be 48" tall :) I love tall stands for the obvious reasons of viewing pleasure and sumps. Great idea for siphoning though... That's been my main concern cause I don't feel like going swimming to clean my tank lmao.

good idea with a 4ft stand... makes life a lot easier.. haha

Mrc8858 said:

It works great I just used the man tool that fixs everything lol duck tape. Every so often I have to re do it

Andrew McFadden said:
It works great I just used the man tool that fixs everything lol duck tape. Every so often I have to re do it

What about just a few plastic zip ties lol

The stand I built for my tank(s), were both 4 feet tall. It puts the fish at or above eye level, but there are issues. For my situation I had to make it 4 feet so I could secure the tank and stand to the wall. In the basement the foundation is cement up to 3 feet. The studs start there.

The issue I have is that I had to either use a step stool, build a step so that I can get into the tank because the top of the tank is shoulder height. Something you might want to think about. You may need something to stand on to reach into the tank to work, place plants, driftwood. Even change filters.

Oh ya I know I'm not gonna be able to just reach into this tank lol the water level will probably be right around 65"-70" high lmao

Subbed!!!!!!

What is the rubber paint stuff you'll be using? I remember reading that the main one everyone used going out of business.

This is so cool man! Dang i wish it was a sw build though, it'd be a sweet fowlr!! Goodluck

Well you can follow the coral farming thread for a big sw build although that thread will be very slow going. As for the sealant I will be using pond shield for both projects. Not sure which color yet though either blue,black, or white.

Back
Top Bottom