95L tropical set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mic_G

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey, you will probably see a couple of threads from me dotted all over ... I've been posting in all the wrong places haha!

Went out at the week and bought an Askoll Pure XL 95L tank. Comes complete with heater, filters and all the rest of it.

I've got gravel and a couple of artificial plants and decorations ... I have 2 platies that are currently in a small cold water tank that I am going to move into this new tank after a week or so .... What other fishes would you suggest to go with them?

Any advice will be taken on board ... Thanks :D

Congrats on the tank. That is roughly 25 US gallons.
In addition to the platies, you could do 2 schools and some bottom feeders.
Some fun things to look into are purple passion danios, pearl danios, harlequin rasboras, lemon tetras, bloodfin tetras, black neons tetras, cherry barbs, and gold barbs. There are tons more as well, but those are a good place to start.
Another good option to figure out what you want is to go to your lfs and write down the names of anything you like. Then, you can google all the species you like and see what would be suitable for your tank.

Is the tank the platys are in now cycled? Are you going to move the media from the filter over to the new tank? Letting the tank run for a week doesn't cycle it properly. You could add the fish now (they'd be happier in a heated tank anyway) along with any media you have from the filter they are using now and test levels, etc for 2-3 weeks before adding any more fish. Here are some links:

Guide to Starting a Freshwater AquariumAquarium Advice
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!Aquarium Advice

What do you mean by media?
Sorry I am really new to this!
I was going to just float them in the top in a bag ... For half an hour or so ... Is that right?

Read the links she posted. They explain cycling better than we will be able to.
Media refers to the cartridge (or whatever) is in your filter. In HOB filters, its typically a carbon filled fuzzy bag that gets inserted into the filter.

Added 3 neons last night, decided I'm gunna do a fish-in cycle! Fingers crossed if i follow the guidelines all will be well :)

Neons are going well so far ... Couldn't get them to feed at first but I cracked it in the end ... Crumble the flakes up and release just below the water line! ... Going to a good fish store Sunday to stock up on some more supplies and possibly a few more fish :)

Done round about 25% water change today ... Which seemed to go well :) used a glass scrubber and a siphon ... Added quite a few more little artificial plants and a cave ... Really enjoyin it so far. Filters are still very clean at the moment which I pressume isn't the best? I need them to get dirty don't I?

Any advice will be helpful

Back
Top Bottom