A Beginner's South America Biotope Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caveat Venditor

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all.

This aquarium may not come to fruition for some time. However, there's never such a thing as too much planning, so I'll ask for ideas from you guys.

Here is what I'm sure of: This tank will be between 30 and 40 gallons, a South American biotope, and home to Apistogramma cacatuoides.

I'm not sure of these things: whether it will be blackwater or clearwater, how many pairs of the dwarf cichlids there may be with a healthy community of other fish, what other fish I will install, what plants are in each biotope, what filter might not disturb the water too much in the blackwater, and whether or not I may include Mikrogeophagus altispinosa.

Yeah, I'm not sure of much. :? It would be very much appreciated if you might help me decide some of these things.

I was thinking of using a Hyphessobrycon or Nannostomus species as the dither fish, and including either a Corydoras or pleco species in the bottom-dwelling, sanitizing niche. What plecos would be best here for a beginner like me? I think that I like L-05, L-183, and L-255. I have close to no idea about the plants.

These are just ideas, so feel free to give whatever opinions you may have. Have fun. :)

with a 40 gallon i would stick with a trio of cacs (1 m/2 f), unfortunatly i do not think there will be room of the Rams as they inhabit the same space as the cacs. i would go with a small school of 4-5 small cories. have you concidered otos? they go great in a planted tank and are great algae eaters IME. both tetra groups you suggested should be ok (school of 6-8) i however are partial to rummy-nose and cardinal tetra myself, the bright color of the cardinals realy go good with the plants.

My cardinals with one of my female cacs
img_795612_0_7015a8c02e242bd70f7ef02f5fe14051.jpg

some plants to think about...

Swords, Primrose, Stargrass andBacopa caroliniana are all great for a south american biotope

also think about adding driftwood

HTH

IMO, driftwood is a necessity for an SA biotope. JD's plant selection is dead on. If the L numbers you listed include bristlenose plecos, you have a hard working bottom dweller that takes up no room worth mentioning.

You really think that there wouldn't be enough room? From what I've read, Apistos are relatively peaceful, except for when protecting the female and brood, and wouldn't the rams avoid them then? I don't really know. :)

The cories are a good idea. I don't think that I'd much like the Otoclinus because I'm considering the cories for some frenetic energy and the plecos for their unique and quirky individuality. Yes, I know they're fish. :lol: Nice fish. Their color does stand out against the plants. Cardinals require more care than most tetras, no? Something about water quality?

Yes, yes, of course. Driftwood, dark gravel-type substrate, peat in the filter and parboiled oak leaves if it's blackwater. I've got that covered. I need to decide between blackwater and clearwater. Could you detail clearwater? I can't seem to find much information about how to replicate it. Also, in blackwater, would the Emperor 280 be too large?

Those plants look good. Plantgeek says that two of those are in North America only, though. What's up with that? Two of the L numbers are Ancistrus. The other is the angelicus pleco.

It all sounds good. Thanks! :D

Caveat Venditor said:
You really think that there wouldn't be enough room? From what I've read, Apistos are relatively peaceful, except for when protecting the female and brood, and wouldn't the rams avoid them then? I don't really know. :)
yest the cacs are peacefull, the rams will not "avoid them" IME though, the bolivian rams (Mikrogeophagus altispinosa) need atleast 30 gallon's worth of bottom space themselves, they get easly 3 inches :?
The cories are a good idea. I don't think that I'd much like the Otoclinus because I'm considering the cories for some frenetic energy and the plecos for their unique and quirky individuality. Yes, I know they're fish. :lol: Nice fish. Their color does stand out against the plants. Cardinals require more care than most tetras, no? Something about water quality?
cardinals are not sensitive at all IME
Yes, yes, of course. Driftwood, dark gravel-type substrate, peat in the filter and parboiled oak leaves if it's blackwater. I've got that covered. I need to decide between blackwater and clearwater. Could you detail clearwater? I can't seem to find much information about how to replicate it.

Those plants look good. Plantgeek says that two of those are in North America only, though. What's up with that?
i do not know how exact the locations on plant geek are, but yes a couple of those are found in N. America, but i believe the extend into S. America, might be wrong. it is hard to get Exactly everything from a certain spot, unless you go collect everyhting yourself, i am sure many of the plants that grow in a certain biotope are not found in the aquarium trade.
Two of the L numbers are Ancistrus. The other is the angelicus pleco.

It all sounds good. Thanks! :D

OK, the rams will wait for another tank.

OK again. But the cardinals are less hardy than neons, right? :?

Yeah, I know. :( It would be nice if every aquarist had a couple grand to blow on a collecting trip.

I've read that, in a blackwater tank with apistos, it's a good idea to have a floating plant to break up and soften the light. I happen to be looking at Amazon frogbit. The "ground cover" stargrass you recommended needs a fair amount of light. Do you think that the frogbit would prevent enough light from reaching it?

Caveat Venditor said:
OK, the rams will wait for another tank.

OK again. But the cardinals are less hardy than neons, right? :?

Yeah, I know. :( It would be nice if every aquarist had a couple grand to blow on a collecting trip.

I've read that, in a blackwater tank with apistos, it's a good idea to have a floating plant to break up and soften the light. I happen to be looking at Amazon frogbit. The "ground cover" stargrass you recommended needs a fair amount of light. Do you think that the frogbit would prevent enough light from reaching it?
i would not call stargrass a grownd cover, it grows up - up - up

Thanks, JDogg. I wasn't looking at stargrass! X ) My bad. All's good in the plant department after having spent a good while going through all of the plants at PlantGeek. Their labeling needs a little work.

I found this thread at Aquaria Central (I still love Aquarium Advice!): http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104726

Is there some way that the rams could work? I'm so confused.

If you want to send someone a message click on the PM icon under their name. It'll send a private message.

Caveat Venditor said:
You out there, JDogg? :?
sorry have not been on a lot lately :(

anyways :)

i understand your dilemma, i love dwarf cichlids, and it would be great to have both rams and apistos in that tank, however with the size tank you have i am not going to recommend it.

now if you wanted to upgrade to a tank that is more of the 4 ft long type (like a 55 or a 75) i think you could get away with both rams and apistos.

now others might disagree, but it really comes down the the individual personalitys of the fish you have, you might get luck and they will do fine together in a 30 or 40. MY cacs and My rams i would not try it though.

S'all good.

Anyways...

I get what you're saying. What about...a 50 long? It's 48 X 18 X 13. I'll be sure to pester the fish seller endlessly about individual compatibility. I noticed your "Ram vs. Apisto" picture. :)

Caveat Venditor said:
S'all good.

Anyways...

I get what you're saying. What about...a 50 long? It's 48 X 18 X 13. I'll be sure to pester the fish seller endlessly about individual compatibility. I noticed your "Ram vs. Apisto" picture. :)
yea, that male GBR did not live long after that, i do not think it was because of the apistos though

Back
Top Bottom