A creature is in my tank!! I did not know it!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattman0182

Aquarium Advice Regular
So my tank has been set up for a month and I just now noticed this tiny snail! He must have come in on one of the plants!! Is this a bad thing? Sorry for the poor pic..its just hard to get around behind my tank.
img_957103_0_c4eb15a83765dbdccbe0fb8e546800e0.jpg

Looks like a baby apple type snail.
Should be no problem at all. A lot of folks raise them.

What do they eat? Now im hoping he doesnt die. He must have been in that plant the whole time.

They eat slices of carrots amongst other things. Apple snails are cute as can be, as long as you don't see them as a pest. Some people don't like them and consider them pests. I, on the other hand, think they are cute additions to a tank.

I hope so...he is the only creature in the tank right now. I will be adding a plant tomorrow probably. He should be ok by himself for a while. Now I have to be sure to get fish that wont attack him.

Perhaps some small type of catfish..I like ones with "whiskers".
Possibly even a baby pleco...but it would eventually outgrow a 29 gal
flounder
maybe even a water frog
bala shark....they may get too big though
some type of tetra

those and some others are ones I was thinking about.

If you are looking for a pleco that stays reasonably small you might consider a bristlenose pleco they only get about 5 or 6 inches. Bala sharks do get to big for a 29 gallon and do better in groups. I don't know anything about flounders since I believe they are illegal in NC.

Your snail looks more like pond snail to me if it is you will probably have more than one but they don't eat healthy plants.

Balas get up to 15" long... and want groups of 5.. i have them in a 55g ... and just had to buy a 125gallon.. so im going to have to say no to the balas lol. Opaline cichlids get up to around 5-6".. they do great in a 29 g

Added 4 new plants today...this time from a different store. Guess what!!? Another tiny snail! That makes 2 that I am aware of. I am ok with them being there though. I just hope they dont take over the whole tank before it gets fish lol.

Well before long you will have a lot more then 2 snails.... but they wont harm anything. I think they are neat to look at.

Back
Top Bottom