A cycling kit ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sponge Bob

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering is there was a cycling kit for the tank (6 gallon preferrably...And I don't know if they make cycling kits or not) If anyone knows where I can order one I would really appreciate it!

Thanks

Sponge

Well if you can find it Bio Spira is essentially a bottle of benificial bacteria that is supposed to work great. It is expensive but the only "proven" product to actually work unlike most "cycle" products.

Otherwise just pick up a bottle of pure ammonia (no detergents added!!!) and that is the best cycling product you can buy (and it is cheap).

There isn't a "cycling kit" per say.

If you are going to try fishless cycling, pure ammonia (as tkos mentioned) and nitrifying bacteria are the basic ingredients. Ammonia is the easy part. The bacteria can either: be bought in a preparation (Bio-Spira or new Cycle for example), gotten from a cycled tank (either putting in a mature filter sponge, or a good hefty squeeze from one), or the air (although that takes a while).

Bio-Spira and Cycle claim you can just put them in and add fish. I haven't tried that yet, although the track record for Cycle isn't very impressive. Bio-Spira on the other hand seems to be the wonder solution from all the research I've read and experiences of others that have used it.

Make sure you reread any and all info about the cycle and how it works if you are going to go fishless.

No cycling kit, but BioSpira is the closest you can get to it. Check out www.marineland.com for a local retailer. I wouldn't waste my money on that snake oil "Cycle." I've never had that make any difference in my tanks.

Back
Top Bottom