A cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mamie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
so tell me cause I want to do this right, if I purchase a used tank, with the fish, filter and everything in it, I don't need to worry about the cycling because it's already been up and running correct?? also, I'm not sure if it's rocks that they have but going to a store called "fins" I just love the soft sand they have if I change the rocks to the sand will it do something to the cycling?

depends on how long they have had it running but most likely it is already cycled. just be sure that the filter media stays wet during the move. that is where most of the bacteria resides.
depending on how many fish they have in there you should be fine changing the substrate. you might get a mini cycle but if the bio load is very small you probably wont see any change. just do frequent testing to be on the safe side.

Also you want to transport the filter media (bio media) in a 'wet-dry' situation, instead of in a sealed bag filled with water. The bacteria need oxygen to stay alive, when in a filter the water flow provides them with this, so an open container and just barely covered with water exposes them to air and keeps it wet. That would keep the most bacteria alive.

Agree with the last 2 posts.
Also, make sure the water used to transport the media is not chlorinated water. aka. tap water. Tank water is best. Quite a few people have forgotten this point and lost the bacteria colonies on the filter media by accident.

+1

I may need to take some pics and make a "journal" when transporting my daughter's tank 5 hours.

It seems like either moving (from place of residence) or otherwise transporting a tank and fish has been coming up a lot as of late.

I didn't check your location, but with the weather getting colder temperature might also become an issue.

well we transported in the tank water actually just sat the filter and media on the floor of the tank and it was a mild day so it was all good thank you for everything now if I could only get my tank to clear up it's foggy as heck???

Foggy water will usually clear in 24 hours. It's suspended debris usually, but could be a sign on ammonia conversion. De-chlorinator will bond ammonia into a non-toxic form that still needs to be consumed by nitrifying bacteria.

I checked with the store I got the sand and I don't know why but I trust them because that is all they deal with is fish and only fresh water anyhow...they said my tank was fine and that it was because of the salt and could take a few days to get clear. I see a difference today as opposed to last night but...I have no light for the tank so I've taken the one from my 30 and put it on there so there is at least that I will get the canope on Wednesday

Oh if you put sand in there it'll take a while to clear up. It also depends on how well you rinsed the sand and what kind you used. Sand could take several days to clear up. Make sure to rinse your filters in treated or tank water daily.

Back
Top Bottom