A dirty aquarium on the side of the road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Excellent! Thanks!

There are so many Tetras! Any particular ones I should tend toward or away from?

Most aren’t gonna affect you much, but like Autumnsky said, some like neons are more sensitive. It’s all about what you think looks best and what is easiest for you to handle.

Most aren’t gonna affect you much, but like Autumnsky said, some like neons are more sensitive. It’s all about what you think looks best and what is easiest for you to handle.
I ended up starting with 5 Lemon Tetras today.

I'll probably get 2-3 more, but didn't want to load to much right now. And I'll get a few other species as well.

I hope the pics attached ok. Tank is kind of bare right now, just a few rocks and gravel in it. I also have an Olaf decoration that I had to purchase when my 2 year old dropped it and cracked the head off of it; anyone know of a safe way of repairing it? I'm guessing crazy glue or epoxy are out?IMG_20180211_181528100.jpgIMG_20180211_181532635.jpg

I ended up starting with 5 Lemon Tetras today.

I'll probably get 2-3 more, but didn't want to load to much right now. And I'll get a few other species as well.

I hope the pics attached ok. Tank is kind of bare right now, just a few rocks and gravel in it. I also have an Olaf decoration that I had to purchase when my 2 year old dropped it and cracked the head off of it; anyone know of a safe way of repairing it? I'm guessing crazy glue or epoxy are out?View attachment 307084View attachment 307085

You could use super glue. Just let it dry before putting it in water.

A quick update: Olaf is glued and living happily on the bottom of the tank. My fish seen happy enough and are exploring their new home a bit today; they just huddled in a corner yesterday evening.

Someone is bringing me 3 more Lemon Tetras in a few minutes, for a total of 8. Will this be too much for cycling?

I'm also kind of frustrated with the LFS. On the phone they said they have strips that test ammonia and also have a master kit. I had someone go to pickup a kit, and it turns out they don't have one, and they also their strips don't check ammonia. Ordering a kit through LFS or online will take 10-14 days. And I realized today that the left over strips my wife had are well passed their best before date.

So: now I have 8 fish, cycling a tank, and no way to test water for minimum 10 days. How do I proceed safely and ethically?

I have no issue doing a couple of water changes a day if I need to. I will even do that preventatively if there is no danger in going that, at least until I can get accurate tests. Thoughts?

You can still use the old test strips being aware that any info possibly NOT accurate :/

I have had fine results for weeks using strip and then bam one says things are A-OKAY and then my fish were dead and the API test showed NOT okay.

Erring on the side of caution is my recommendation.

Feed sparingly.

You can do 20% daily pwc and then feed very well in morning and then do large 40% let's say in the evening - removing the excess nutrients. Once a week. Vacuuming as well to remove any uneaten food.

This way they can get a hearty meal once a week. To keep up with their nutrient needs. They are probably young ones if they just came from the lfs.

Also maybe have the amount of food they need and feed split in half to am and pm feeding. Younger fish appreciate food more often.

A quick update: Olaf is glued and living happily on the bottom of the tank. My fish seen happy enough and are exploring their new home a bit today; they just huddled in a corner yesterday evening.

Someone is bringing me 3 more Lemon Tetras in a few minutes, for a total of 8. Will this be too much for cycling?

I'm also kind of frustrated with the LFS. On the phone they said they have strips that test ammonia and also have a master kit. I had someone go to pickup a kit, and it turns out they don't have one, and they also their strips don't check ammonia. Ordering a kit through LFS or online will take 10-14 days. And I realized today that the left over strips my wife had are well passed their best before date.

So: now I have 8 fish, cycling a tank, and no way to test water for minimum 10 days. How do I proceed safely and ethically?

I have no issue doing a couple of water changes a day if I need to. I will even do that preventatively if there is no danger in going that, at least until I can get accurate tests. Thoughts?
I'd probably go for a 50% water change a day (give or take) for a 20g with fish. And you could oder off eBay and get the test kit in 3 days. If you order today you'll probably get it by Wed. Thurs. Just make sure it's says fast fee shipping with seller having great feed back. I usually buy from the seller name of : honeyroastedpeanut, very fast shipping. Alot of times I'll get my order in a day or 2.

You can still use the old test strips being aware that any info possibly NOT accurate :/

I have had fine results for weeks using strip and then bam one says things are A-OKAY and then my fish were dead and the API test showed NOT okay.

Erring on the side of caution is my recommendation.

Feed sparingly.

You can do 20% daily pwc and then feed very well in morning and then do large 40% let's say in the evening - removing the excess nutrients. Once a week. Vacuuming as well to remove any uneaten food.

This way they can get a hearty meal once a week. To keep up with their nutrient needs. They are probably young ones if they just came from the lfs.

Also maybe have the amount of food they need and feed split in half to am and pm feeding. Younger fish appreciate food more often.

Ya, I'll probaly keep using the strips just in case they are working and something goes way high.

I'm a bit confused. Are you suggesting 20% every day. And then once a week do a 40% with vacuuming?

I'd probably go for a 50% water change a day (give or take) for a 20g with fish. And you could oder off eBay and get the test kit in 3 days. If you order today you'll probably get it by Wed. Thurs. Just make sure it's says fast fee shipping with seller having great feed back. I usually buy from the seller name of : honeyroastedpeanut, very fast shipping. Alot of times I'll get my order in a day or 2.

With current buckets and things I have I can easily do 30% or so. Any more than that and I'll need to get more buckets or containers. The biggest reason for that being that I have to get the water from a spring across the road, and it comes out very cold, so I have to let it warm up for a half day before I can put it into the tank. I could do 30% once a day no problem. Some days I can do it twice (shift work schedule). Would that be sufficient?

In Newfoundland things rarely get here that fast, especially this time of the year (bad weather delays and cancels the ferries), especially from the USA (customs sometimes is a problem). I can order online from a Canadian site and probably get it here in a week, which I am doing today.

If your fish are fine with your tap water I'd just use that until you get cycled. It will be alot easier for ya. And not so stressful. Your tap water won't hurt them. And you can be on the safe side through your cycling, by doing 50%. I'd vacuum every 3 days. Ammonia will climb fast with fish. All the waste, and food, ammonia builds up. So go lite on feeding while cycling too.

If your fish are fine with your tap water I'd just use that until you get cycled. It will be alot easier for ya. And not so stressful. Your tap water won't hurt them. And you can be on the safe side through your cycling, by doing 50%. I'd vacuum every 3 days. Ammonia will climb fast with fish.

You know what? I never considered using just tap water until right now! I had it in my mind that I wanted to use the spring water and kind of got a mental block beyond that!

When will ammonia stay climbing? I'm assuming right now already?

So do one 50% daily?

I ordered the API Master Kit from a Canadian supplier on the 12th. It shipped yesterday, and expected delivery is the 26th. That's almost 2 weeks.

I ordered the API Master Kit from a Canadian supplier on the 12th. It shipped yesterday, and expected delivery is the 26th. That's almost 2 weeks.
Awww, You'll be cycled by then. Still gonna need your test kit regardless. But just say'n. Just watch your fish most of all. If they start sucking air from the top or acting funny, play it safe and do a few water changes back to back if they do that. Other than that just vac the bottom about every 3 days and water change daily or every other day. Be careful to not over feed. You'll be fine.

Awww, You'll be cycled by then. Still gonna need your test kit regardless. But just say'n. Just watch your fish most of all. If they start sucking air from the top or acting funny, play it safe and do a few water changes back to back if they do that. Other than that just vac the bottom about every 3 days and water change daily or every other day. Be careful to not over feed. You'll be fine.

To the untrained eye they look healthy. They aren't sucking air up top. I've of them was swimming with a bit of a lean for a few hours, but I haven't seen that since yesterday afternoon. They all look normal and active. A few of them chase each other a bit. Anything else I should be looking for?

I've been doing 50% changes, and also another 25% done evenings. From what I've read that should be playing safe. I use the gravel vac every water change.

I don't feel like I am overfeeding them. I don't have much to gauge it by though. Today I feed them a bit more than the last couple of days and today is the first time I picked up uneaten food with the vac, so am I right to assume that I was in the right ballpark? I'd there a rule of thumb out anything, other than the 2-3 minute rule? My fish don't sun to go for the food for a couple of minutes then they all hit it hard for a couple of minutes. Is that normal?

To the untrained eye they look healthy. They aren't sucking air up top. I've of them was swimming with a bit of a lean for a few hours, but I haven't seen that since yesterday afternoon. They all look normal and active. A few of them chase each other a bit. Anything else I should be looking for?

I've been doing 50% changes, and also another 25% done evenings. From what I've read that should be playing safe. I use the gravel vac every water change.

I don't feel like I am overfeeding them. I don't have much to gauge it by though. Today I feed them a bit more than the last couple of days and today is the first time I picked up uneaten food with the vac, so am I right to assume that I was in the right ballpark? I'd there a rule of thumb out anything, other than the 2-3 minute rule? My fish don't sun to go for the food for a couple of minutes then they all hit it hard for a couple of minutes. Is that normal?
Yeah, that's normal for those guys. You'll know when your overfeeding when you see alot of the food drop to the bottom. Or if their belly's start looking alittle to big. Your doing good. You got the safe zone over safe alittle. But that's OK. Cycle might take alittle longer. But I doubt it. Sounds good. Stick with it.

Yeah, that's normal for those guys. You'll know when your overfeeding when you see alot of the food drop to the bottom. Or if their belly's start looking alittle to big. Your doing good. You got the safe zone over safe alittle. But that's OK. Cycle might take alittle longer. But I doubt it. Sounds good. Stick with it.
Awesome. Thanks for all the help. I'd rather be a bit over cautious rather than under cautious. I don't want my fish to just live, I want them to thrive.

Sounds good.

I think you know, if using tap water, to use dechlorinator treatment.

If your tap water supplier uses Chloramine then you need to make sure your water treatment/conditioner can treat that too, and use the usually additional/double
amount because it is hard to break down.

And yes, I was referring to daily smaller pwc and then a large one a number of hours after a very good feeding one time per week when you have a chunk of time.

It wouldn't be as much water changing if you had the test kit and knowing it was properly testing. Now though you are into the whole process and you might not be cycled in 2 more weeks when it arrives - either way, having the test kit coming soon is good news.

Yes, I am using tap water treatment.

I have gravel substrate from my driveway, which is from a gravel pit a few hundred feet up the road from me. I've had it in there for a few days and I noticed today with the test strips that my hardness and alkalinity are up a little bit. It is still soft (25-75 ppm) and low to moderate alkalinity (40-80 ppm). I know that the strips, especially out of date, may not be accurate. I'm obviously going to keep an eye on it, but if it doesn't skyrocket should I be concerned about it? I'm surprised that it is up though since there is a lot of rock in our ground, it is normally considered to not have much limestone, and the groundwater around here is typically soft.

Here's a couple shots of my setup and my fish. And also one of my lighting repair using leftover LED strip from my undercabinet lighting and a power supply and disposed parts from work. I also had to replace the glass under the light, which I got from a local glass shop in exchange for a small contribution to their coffee fund!

I'm getting a lot of satisfaction from putting this together from thrown out stuff where I can!IMG_20180216_211818799.jpgIMG_20180216_211836366.jpgIMG_20180216_212119683.jpg

Here's a couple shots of my setup and my fish. And also one of my lighting repair using leftover LED strip from my undercabinet lighting and a power supply and disposed parts from work. I also had to replace the glass under the light, which I got from a local glass shop in exchange for a small contribution to their coffee fund!

I'm getting a lot of satisfaction from putting this together from thrown out stuff where I can!View attachment 307182View attachment 307183View attachment 307184

Looks great! Have you considered getting live plants? Things like java fern are pretty much un-killable.

Back
Top Bottom