A few noobie questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

equinecpa

Aquarium Advice Regular
Specs:

30 Gallon Hex Tank
100 W Metal Halide (on about 11 hours a day)
Fish: 3 Angels, Betta
Plants: Banana, cryps, java fern, anubias, vals

My first question is since this is a 30 G Hex tank and is 24" deep, can anyone tell me what kind of light penetration I am actually getting? Is there a formula? It sure looks bright! Would this be considered high lighting or only moderate because of the depth of the tank?

CO2: Related to above question, I suppose. Should I add it?

I also was wondering do low light plants as I have do all right with moderate-high lighting or am I going to have to get different plants? And later can I downgrade lighting to a 70w bulb (I'm thinking no, must match ballast).

Carolyn

I would say that you're more on the 'high' than the 'moderate' end of the scale for wattage and IMO, CO2 is something that you should definitely be looking at.....soon!! Light penetration with MH should not be a problem even at 24".

You can grow low light plants with your lighting.
How long ago did you install the MH lighting, and are you experiencing any algae problems? Seems like a lot of light w/o the use of CO2 and with low light plants.

Len

Light has been on only one day. I actually thought I had a 70 watt but bought a 100 w. I'd prefer 70 watt. A 100w ballast won't fire a 70 watt bulb will it?

I have supplies for diy CO2, I'll get on it straight away.

Carolyn

A 100watt ballast might pre-maturely burn out a 70watt bulb. I don't know for certain because i've never touched MH lighting, but I'd just stick with the 100watt bulb.

Back
Top Bottom