a few pictus questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bryakwheel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a new 29 gallon tank. It has 6 each of tiger barbs, zebra danios and red eye tetras. I also got a pictus catfish thinking it would help eat up extra food off of the bottom. Will the pictus be miserable without other pictus? It seems fine but I guess i have no idea to tell if it is happy or not. He has not eaten any of the zebrafish yet. It seems like I should get special food just for the pictus? I thought he could just eat flakes like the others but I'm trying not to overfeed them and he dosn't go around and eat until later. Any advice from pictus/fish gurus is welcome!

Shrimp pellets after light out works good for me. I would keep an eye out for him though because them tiger barbs can be pretty nippy!

great I'll try those. So far no one is messing with him but perhaps that is becuase everyone is settling in. There so fun to watch I'll be checking closely.

My 3 pictus love the hirikari (spelling?) carnivore pellets. They will eat 3 in a row and then go off. Pictus are a very active species that require a lot of swimming room also so you may want to remove some decor if that is an issue

I don't have too much in there...I just put in a bowl, a small pvc pipe and a coffee cup to try to make some "caves" for them. I'll try to find that food. Do you think they can be happy in a 29 gallon tank?

Pictus need lots of room to zoom. They also do best when kept in groups. I personally wouldn't put them in anything less than 75 gallons to give them the space they need.

36x12x16. Maybe I can try to get a bigger tank down the road. Right now they are about 2". Do you know how fast they grow?

Back
Top Bottom