A Friend of mine bought a 1.5 gallon tank...need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tozebeach

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I know a decent amount about saltwater fish, but know almost nothing about freshwater (though i know what a huge resource these forums can be so i figure i could help them out by asking the Aquarium Advice Gurus)

A friend of mine bought a 1.5 gallon tank and stocked it with a Dalmation Molly and a Platy. So far the Dalmation has been bullying the Platy around a lot. The tank has a small power filter on it. Should I advise her to take the Dalmation back? She is worried that the Platy wont have a friend if she brings the Dalmation back, but it is harassing the Platy so much that I dont think it is much of a friend. This tank seems very small to have two fish in it. If anyone has any ideas of stocking suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

IMO both of those fish are too big for that size tank. In a 1.5g I'd go with maybe a betta or some small shrimp. Some cherry shrimp would be great for that size tank. It is really too small to have any fish other than a male betta and IMO even it would be a little crowded.

Mollies and platies should be in a 10g tank minimum.

JustOneMore20 said:
IMO both of those fish are too big for that size tank. In a 1.5g I'd go with maybe a betta or some small shrimp. Some cherry shrimp would be great for that size tank. It is really too small to have any fish other than a male betta and IMO even it would be a little crowded.

Mollies and platies should be in a 10g tank minimum.

Thanks for the help. I figured that was the case. My saltwater instincts told me that that tank was way too small for most fish.

In FW, some people use the inch per gallon rule, which isn't the greatest, but I'm gonna use it as a reference in this case. Platies and mollies both get about 2 inches, so even one in the tank would be overstocked. I don't like that rule because it doesn't apply to all fish, but in this case you can have proof that those fish shouldn't be in a 1.5g tank.

The aggression is most likely because they are overcrowded.

Hope she decides to stock it right!

Welcome to AA by the way! :D

Welcome to AA :)

I have kept a Betta in a 1.5 gallon hex with success in the past.

Other then keeping a Betta maybe your friend should look in to just having some plants or snails until they can get a bigger tank.

As stated above, the Molly and Platy must be kept in a bigger tank.

Also, you may want to caution your friend about the heat fluctuations often caused by using incandescent lighting (typically included with small aquarium 'kits').

Best,

Joe

Back
Top Bottom