A Good Response Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J-rzi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, im getting back into the hobby after my two Bettas that i kept in seperate tanks died within 1 month of eachother. I say im getting back into the hobby cause my fish were 10 and 13 years old respectively and i didnt own any other fish during that period. What im looking for help with is advice on what fish,i no longer want bettas, to purchase, along with newer tanks(less then 10 gallons),pumps, filters etc. At first im looking to spend less the 100 bucks so my losses arn't too bad if i screw up. I currently am living in a small apartment after moving and selling my old tanks because of there size. An educated and thourough response would be greatly apreciated. Thankyou![/b]

Wal-mart has some really nice complete setups for cheap. I saw a complete 29 gallon setup for like 70 dollars or so. If you are doing a tank 10gallons or less a betta would probably be your best bet. With a 29 gallon tank or larger your options are much better and you would probably have a more pleasurable experience. A cichlid has a lot of personality and they are pretty hardy a Jack Dempsey would be a good choice or even an Oscar They would definately need a bigger tank than 10g though and you would only be able to house 1 fish and maybe an algae eater there are some really cool bottom feeders to choose from that are just as cool as the fish.

Honestly I'd avoid most of the kits, they usually have junky components and you'll soon have to replace parts. I'd check your local Craigslist, there are usually lots of good deals on fishtanks there (search both aquarium and fish tank).

As far as fish for small tanks, in 5-10 gallons you could have a small school (4-6) of small tetras, such as neons, cardinals, Pristellas, brass tetras or silvertips. A single dwarf gourami would be OK but that may be too much like your bettas. You could also do a small planted tank and have some Red Cherry shrimp, they are pretty entertaining little guys. In a 10g you could have a pair of Apistogramma cichlids, but the JDs or Oscars mentioned are waaaay too big for even a 29 gallon tank. With tanks that small your options are a little limited but it can be done.

Back
Top Bottom