A Little Stocking Advice, Please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
So in my upcoming 30 gallon freshwater build, my original plan was to have six neon tetras, six pygmy cory catfish, six zebra danios, three gold dust mollies, one koi swordtail, and one betta fish. But I'm worried that the swordtail and the betta will have problems, so I'm going to skip the swordtail (my betta is in desperate need of a larger tank). My question is what is a good fish I can keep singly instead of the swordtail? Or should I just cut it out and not replace it?

As for some other advice, I might add five galaxy rasboras (hope I got the name right) instead of the danios. I'm not sure if that'll work in terms of purchase yet but we'll see if they're available when the cycle is finished. Would this be a good move? Research tells me rasboras are peaceful fish but I just wanted to get a second opinion. Thanks!

I'd skip the swordtail. Actually the bettas and mollys might not work out either; mollys have fairly long fins as well and one may go after the other. Also not sure on the zebra danios and the betta as they occupy the same tank area near the top and I"ve read conflicting reports on those getting along as well. You can try it of course but have a backup plan for the betta; s/he would probably be more comfortable in his own tank.

I have celestial pearl danio (formerly galaxy rasbora); they are very peaceful fish that stay mostly mid-bottom.

I have a backup plan for the betta in case it does not work. The betta is a plakat (short fins), so I'm hoping it'll reduce the chance of his fins getting nipped, and he's a fairly calm betta.

The problem is that his tank is too small for him so I'm hoping to get him some more room. I also have other bettas that need larger tanks too. The situation tank-wise isn't very good.

I'm already skipping the swordtail, that was why I started this thread, to ask what a good second choice would be. I've decided not to replace it and just skip it, and if the betta doesn't work then add the swordtail.

I might replace the danios with galaxy rasboras anyways. Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom