A question on cycling i never got....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

virus

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok everyone, when somone gets a new tank and wants to "seed" the new tank so the cycle goes a little faster, but lets say that i have a 29 gallon, established tank, ok. and i just got a new ten gallon, bare with no rocks or anything, and then i took 1/3 water from the 29 (10 gal) and put it and a 1 inch thick gravel, then i took a filter media from the 29 gallon and put it in a same filter for the 10 gallon, and now i wonder would this be instant cycle since it has all the backteria the 29 gallon had, except the walls of the glass do not have any backteria, i mean wouldent this work? and if it does not can someone please explain why?

It would have the tank with what would probably be about 95%+ of the bacteria needed, yes....I do similar things all the time when I get unexpected fish.

The water has nothing to do with it and adding used water from another tank, in my opinion, is just adding nitrates and phosphates to the new tank. Not really helpful since the bacteria doesn't free float. But yes, using filter media from another tank will help jump start your cycle. As will gravel, plants, ornaments, driftwood, etc. from an established tank.

Fluff said:
But yes, using filter media from another tank will help jump start your cycle. As will gravel, plants, ornaments, driftwood, etc. from an established tank.

well with all the gravel and filter media, why doesnt it just be almost auto cycle? i mean how long would it have to cycle, after that? since it already has alot of NO2 and NO3 right? hmm this is intresting, i was just wondering if i took 1/3 of everything in my tank and put it in to a 10 gallon, would it have almost not all the bacteria needed?

I think Toirtis and myself just answered that. lol
Yes, it would pretty much be an instant cycle. You could do it with just the filter media instead of stripping your other tank. Just watch your parameters. You should see minimal numbers, if any.

Back
Top Bottom