A quick moment of your time please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PauloSilva

Aquarium Advice Regular
HI,

I have a 75 Gallon currently cycling as of yesterday. Now I understand the purpose is to have all the beneficial bacteria thrive and muliply on the substrate, filter media, etc. However, I currently am using an AquaClear 110g Power Filter and it suggests I replace the sponge every month or so. Am I now just throwing away all the bacteria. Or is there enough located in other areas of the tank to seed the new media in a jiffy?

Ahhh.. and another question... should i put my power filter in one corner and do a power head in the other. My goal is to have life plants and I heard TOO much flow is a problem.

Thanks all
Paul

You do not replace the sponge until there is almost nothing left of it. The manufacturer's would love for you to change your sponge every month...more income for them. Yes, PH can be at the opposite side of the filter in the tank.

That took 20 seconds...you still have 5 minutes left :D , and Welcome to AA!

thanks for the welcome and for the quick reponse

so that sponge will deteriorate? does it need to be rinsed of detritus when servicing the unit?

i heard something about 5x times max turnover for planted tanks. I'll try to get a lower gph powerhead.

Thanks guys.

You can clean it when needed (usually once a month) with your used tank water...rinsing and squeezing out the detrius.

You are correct, planted tanks don't require as much turnover as a regular tank.

BTW, take a look at the planted tank forum for some helpful hints and if you have questions.

You don't need a powerhead in that setup, especially if you are going planted. That filter is supposed to turn over about 500 gals per hour, which is more than enough. As an example, I have a 30 gal planted tank, that is 48" long, and is filterd by an AC 150. If you haven't done so yet, lose the carbon, and double up the foam inserts. Rinse them out as necessary. They will last for years. I have some that are over 10 years old.

Back
Top Bottom