A sand question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nativenuyorker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My local store has both Quikrete All-Purpose Sand and play sand. Does it matter which one I use in a freshwater aquarium? I read that pool filter sand is easier to clean but I can't find it. Thanks.

My local store has both Quikrete All-Purpose Sand and play sand. Does it matter which one I use in a freshwater aquarium? I read that pool filter sand is easier to clean but I can't find it. Thanks.

You can use silica based play sand ... The only issue is it tends to be really fine and cloud up easily, PFS just sinks back down.

I used playsand once, it looked awesome for a bit, but all my fish moved alot stirring it up, went thru alot of impellers and filters. Go the pool filter sand. tad more expensive but youll have alot of it. I bought a 50 pound bag was marked 12 got it for 6 bucks. I barely used it in my 55. I didnt dent the bag. And it doesnt fluff like the play sand does reaking havoc on impellers.

I googled pool suppy stores in my area and found a store that sold pool filter sand. That's what I'm using. I have a 55 gal tank and only needed to buy 1 50 lb bag.

I got the all purpose sand. I personally like it more than the play sand. There are small different colored rocks mixed with the sand. I used the whole bag because i sort of wanted my castle to be on a mountain.

Thanks for the info. I'll look around some more for the pool filter sand and if I can't find that I'll go with the All purpose. I'm anxious to get started on my new venture.

Back
Top Bottom