a stocking challenge anyone? kinda need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just remember that if the pleco does eat them right away, or whatever fish it may be, that shrimp will still have salt in its body...salt will kill fw fish if ingested like that

Someone else brought up that the pleco would eat it, hence why I said or whatever fish may try to eat it. Im no pleco expert so I apologize lol

TenaciousTriggerFish said:
I don't know how to take care of shrimp... Idk what to feed em... Idk what RCS look like! And idk how to keep tank clean with them... I use sand what if I had some of it put of water and kept a fidler crab? But again idk what to feed or anything else...

Imho, that's what research is for. It's not like any of us were born knowing how to take care of our fish lol :p

If a shrimp were to live its whole live in salty water, it would indeed retain a higher sodium content within its body, at least in theory...I may certainly be completely wrong and I'm more than willing to admit that, just meant to throw it out there as an idea more than anything

If a shrimp were to live its whole live in salty water, it would indeed retain a higher sodium content within its body, at least in theory...I may certainly be completely wrong and I'm more than willing to admit that, just meant to throw it out there as an idea more than anything

That makes sense, but that's a lot different then telling someone "...salt will kill fw fish if ingested like that".

People feed their FW fish with saltwater shrimp all the time and I've yet to hear about something like that. I eat a lot of full saltwater shrimp and they don't taste salty at all to me, but I've no idea what their actual sodium content is.

It's cool to toss out ideas and stuff but I think we should be careful to outline them as such so that there isn't a lot of mythology going about.

Last edited:
Freshwater fish fight their environment to retain salt and expel water. Saltwater fish fight their environment to expel salt and retain water. Feeding a fish salty meals would help it by giving it a leg up on its environment.

aqua_chem said:
Freshwater fish fight their environment to retain salt and expel water. Saltwater fish fight their environment to expel salt and retain water. Feeding a fish salty meals would help it by giving it a leg up on its environment.

Confusing. o,O

3x. 3/4" shrimp in it now
I put half a algae pellet in it and covered the top will check on em at lunchtime when I come home on break

LyndaB said:
Did you cycle it before putting the shrimp in?

No... I know many won't agree but I have never cycled a tank... And it's only a half gallon tank for now but will move to gallon if the survive... Well some to gallon tank some to fifty gallon tank

Yes because beneficial bacteria (BB) will still reside in gravel and on plants, decorations, etc. as well as on the glass itself, so you don't exactly need a filter to cycle a tank, which cycling is just building up bacterial colonies that convert ammonia into nitrite, and nitrite into nitrate :)

Freakgecko91 said:
Yes because beneficial bacteria (BB) will still reside in gravel and on plants, decorations, etc. as well as on the glass itself, so you don't exactly need a filter to cycle a tank, which cycling is just building up bacterial colonies that convert ammonia into nitrite, and nitrite into nitrate :)

Thanks! I had no idea that was possible :)

Back
Top Bottom