About bacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

almcloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 6 gal QTank that has been running with no fish in it for about a month. Originally I used media from 60 gal tank (sponge filter)
Is the bacteria from the sponge filter still alive after all that time with no fish/ammonia?
I am planning to get new fish and use it soon.

I would think it has starved to death. I usually move my filter back to my 55g until I need the tank again. I usually empty the tank until I need it again.

Aspencer said:
I would think it has starved to death. I usually move my filter back to my 55g until I need the tank again. I usually empty the tank until I need it again.

Thanks

I have a 6 gal QTank that has been running with no fish in it for about a month. Originally I used media from 60 gal tank (sponge filter)
Is the bacteria from the sponge filter still alive after all that time with no fish/ammonia?
I am planning to get new fish and use it soon.

You could have kept the bacteria alive if you had "fed" it some ammonia during that month. Ace Hardward stores seem to be the most common place to find PURE ammonia and water (most name brands include soaps).

The thing I've done before is to load an old contact soultion bottle with a ammonia, and then each day rather than feeding fish food, I feed the tank a few drops of ammonia.

HooKooDooKu said:
You could have kept the bacteria alive if you had "fed" it some ammonia during that month. Ace Hardward stores seem to be the most common place to find PURE ammonia and water (most name brands include soaps).

The thing I've done before is to load an old contact soultion bottle with a ammonia, and then each day rather than feeding fish food, I feed the tank a few drops of ammonia.

Thank you

Did the media stay wet? If it did, dont give up all hope yet! I helped someone with a cycling thread about a mth ago- we couldnt figure out where her amm/nitrite was going when she had justed started her cycle from scratch. I turned out there was some old media in the internal filter (tank hadnt had fish for over a mth) & her tank basically cycled in a few days! I was even surprised the bacteria had lasted that long with no food! So, all may not be lost! Good luck!

jlk said:
Did the media stay wet? If it did, dont give up all hope yet! I helped someone with a cycling thread about a mth ago- we couldnt figure out where her amm/nitrite was going when she had justed started her cycle from scratch. I turned out there was some old media in the internal filter (tank hadnt had fish for over a mth) & her tank basically cycled in a few days! I was even surprised the bacteria had lasted that long with no food! So, all may not be lost! Good luck!

Thanks, will give it a try and test water, see what happens and get only one fish for now. If ammonia or nitrites go out of normal will move fish to 60 gal tank right away.

Def let us know what happens! I am curious how long the bb can actually last without food. The longest ive gone without feeding them so far is 5days- no problems keeping my qt cycled. I just fear going longer than this because i dont want to lose the cycle. I would try dosing some ammonia for a few days to see what happens.

jlk said:
Def let us know what happens! I am curious how long the bb can actually last without food. The longest ive gone without feeding them so far is 5days- no problems keeping my qt cycled. I just fear going longer than this because i dont want to lose the cycle. I would try dosing some ammonia for a few days to see what happens.

It took the bacteria about 10 days to restart the cycle. The highest Ammonia level I got was about 0.5 for only one day. Nitrite was always 0. Changed water every day to keep my 2 Corries comfortable. I only added one small bottle of Dr.Tim's One & Only Bacteria on day one as preventive measure. So it seems like even after one month with no ammonia in my qt there was still some track of bacteria that helped me being back up and running pretty quickly.
I hope this info helps :)

Thanks for info & the update!!! Thats pretty amazing the bacteria survived over a month with no food source! I will be filing this interesting info away for future use! :)

Back
Top Bottom