About my overstocked 5 gallon tank.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brittanykluss

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have a tank that I know is overstocked. I have 2 Black mollies, 2 male fancy guppys, 2 emerald green cory cats.

I just got an AP kit ( in anticipation for fishless cycling my 20 gallon that im going to start doing soon ) and i tested the 5 gallon and these are my results.

nitrAte: 0 ppm
nitrIte: 0 ppm
PH: 7.4
Ammonia: 0.25

what should I do and what needs to be the best results

Yes, very overstocked, but it is good you recognize that and you have a good plan to fix it.

How long has the 5 gal tank been setup? What has been your maintenance routine for it? At first glance of those test results, it would appear your tank is not cycled.

I did this completely wrong from the beginning. I took advice from the petstore people and thought I could cycle it over night 24 hrs. So thats what I did and I got 3 guppies. I have 2 guppies left. I waited about 4-5 days and got the mollys and corys. Ive had the tank with fish for about 2 weeks.

Weve been doing 20% water changes I say i did it 3 times since ive had it

With your current stocking, you may not ever hit the "ideal" numbers, but once the tank is cycled, you would see 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 0-20 nitrate for ideal numbers. Have you at any point seen any reading of nitrite or nitrate?

FWIW, I would setup the 20gal tank and move fish over to it within 24 hours. The extra water will really help to dilute the ammonia since there is no beneficial bacteria to break it down. It would be healthier for the fish. Then, fishless cycle the 5 gal tank and put some micro rasboras or some FW shrimp or a betta in it.

Unfortunately I cant set up the 20 gallon yet, im waiting for a stand to be made.

Any other options? The fish seem to be happy and healthy.... Is it lacking bacteria or anything i could fix? This is the first time ive tested the water.

The only option is to keep doing what you are doing, or take the fish back to the pet store. Test the water daily, and any time the ammonia reaches 0.5ppm or higher, do a 50% water change. It may take another couple of weeks for the tank to cycle. With the size of fish you have, it may not ever completely cycle. Unfortunately none of the fish you selected are appropriate for that size tank. They may look happy and healthy now, but ammonia is deadly, and a 5 gal tank provides very little swimming room to maintain healthy fish for *years*... as that is how long healthy fish live.

Brittany,
Your in a tight spot read up on fish in cycling, minamize your feeding (skipping a day or two) only a coupple flakes per fish, keep watch on the ammonia (this is what will kill them, not lack of food), keep your gravel clean (rotting food=more ammonia), do particial warter changes if ammonia gets any higher, adding prime will temporally neutralize the toxic effects of the ammonia in a emergency (read bottle) but that's only a temporary fix buying your self time to change the warter again, head count your fish daily (dead fish=more ammonia). Read up on fish in cycling and you will understand the bacteria you need plus alot of details i havent included in this post (nitrites,nitrates,etc) Lastly hound the stand builder to get on it.

P

Just wanted to add that the vast majority of fishkeepers have received very unfortunate advice from employees at lfs. It's just the way it is. The mom and pop stores have proven to be a much more valid source for information, in my opinion. Don't ever expect much from the chain stores.

Back
Top Bottom