About the Quarantine tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fynnie

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok Im seeing more fish that Im definately interested in, mainly thanks to JDogg,Jchillin& bs6749.
Now comes a question. From what I have read about GBR and Bolivian Rams they are sensitive to medications. I would be planning to QT any new fish coming in. Would it just be better to keep them separate for about 6 weeks or would anyone out there add some pre- emptive meds to the QT tanks , And if so what would they be?

I would just keep them separate for 6 weeks (which should be the minimum QT time for any fish). Why add meds for sensitive fish unless you do have an illness to deal with and clearly know what it is? Or are you talking about newcomers after the rams are established? I still don't think it's necessary. Indescriminate use of medication is not a good thing.

Honestly, I haven't used meds for a long time, even when I do have a sick fish. Clean water + heat + salt goes a long way for a lot of illnesses, and PWCs are your best defense to avoid even getting to that point.

I agree. Unless you are treating a rescued fish with a known disease, I would lay off medications. Mosaic, do you have a formula for heat and salt for treatment? I'm curious.

Wait. I Have not up to now used meds for anything. But you know the story..read some outdated/bad info and start thinking maybe I'm not doing something right. The basic formula I use is 1 tsp of aquarium salt for every 5 gallons with a constant 80 temperature.( although I have in one case used 2 tsps of salt per every 5 gallons for some nasty sick Danios..it worked they are still alive and the wierd bloat dissapperaed)
I just wanted to be really sure I was going to be doing right by some future $$costly$$ fish.

Back
Top Bottom