About to cycle 44g, when to add plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taelen

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've finished cleaning a 44g tank that I got from a friend, it's a taller corner tank and I'd like to go planted with this one which will be my second tank.

I've read the instructions on a fishless cycle as well as the starting instructions for a planted tank...however I'm not clear at what stage of the cycle I should add the plants? Also, I'm looking to go with fairly low maintenance plants that won't need a CO2 system or too much light (although I can get more light).

When should I add the plants and what type should I start with?

Thanks guys.

Add plants now. They'll help quicken the cycling process. I'd stick with fast growing plants for right now: wisteria, ludwigia, anacharis, rotala, bacopa, etc

I'd recommend the complete opposite. I would fishless cycle the tank and then add plants later. If you do it perfectly you can avoid a cycle, but make one mistake and you will regret rushing the plants (ahoy! algae).

You should be able to near instant-cycle your 44 since you already have an established 38 (per your sig). If you take a good portion of that filter media (and if possible some substrate or decorations) you should be able to fishless cycle in under a week or 2. That's an insignificant time to get a properly cycled tank. Then you can stock with your fish and plant the tank. If you do it this way you have the insurance policy of your biological filter if your plants die, and if you accidentally kill your bacteria you've got the backup of your plants.

HTH

Thanks guys.

Once the cycle is complete and the tank is ready for stocking, does it matter what goes in first, plants or fish? And should either be there for a certain period of time before adding the other? Or at the same time is ok?

One other option is no cycle.

Since you wish to do a planted tank you could get all your plants established in your tank, get your co2 up and running, and get your ferts under control. Once you are there you can start adding fish. Not all at once but a few at a time, and if they are small you can add a few more at a time. Some refer to this as a silent cycle. Since plants is a balanced tank are looking for nitrogen to consume, the little bit of ammonia that your fish addition provide will be welcome to your plants. The nitrogen in ammonia is more available to the plants than the nitrogen in the nitrate you are adding as a fert.

I have done this and it actually is the way I prefer to go. It allows me to play with the tank and get things the way I want them to be with no concern about any livestock.

Back
Top Bottom