About to hate rummies!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flossie

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ive ha them over two weeks! I just got new lower heat bulbs for them. they are STILL hiding!! I just turned the lights on and slowly set the hood on so the light would gradually light the tank... I swear they buried themselves in the sand!!! I had to lift my bridge decor because one of them wedged themselves under it! What's the point in having fish u can't see.... I mean do I just leave the light out completely until they settle? Then when they do settle I'm afraid of starting all over with the light situation.. This is very frustrating!!! If I would have known they were this way I would my have gotten them! I really want this to work but I have no idea how!! I guess that just need more time
But I don't know what else to do. I don't even know if they are eating... I'm very sad :( lol

LOL, Flossie take a breath, how many fish are in the tank, anyhow? Perhaps they need more friends to feel safe.

Yea its normal. I have serpaes which i've had for a week and are still petrified by me.

Oh and don't feel badly about not seeing your babies. When Mr. & Mrs. Smith stick their noses out, I pretty much jump around and clap with excitement. It's like a treat every time I see them. I've been known to stare at my tank for 30 minutes, waiting for that elusive glimpse; though now I just cheat and loiter at breakfast and dinner. Guaranteed sightings, then. :D

My rummies are just starting to come around (three weeks later). I started with about 15 and now only have around 5. They seem weak. Most of mine were lost to the inlet of my filter. The bigger ones seem to be more active and bold. Give it some time. I actually love mine and cherish their existence in my tank. :)

It can take time for some fish to settle in. They will come around.

I totally agree! Don't be hatin' yet. LOL. The rummies I bought took about a month to get over the shyness. 2 weeks is not time to worry. ;)

Keep the water clean, and feed a high quality staple, and your rummies will reward your efforts eventually.

Weak rummies are often wild caught. If you can find tank raised fish this will increase your chances of success with them.

Thank u everyone ! Imma try not to worry... Those are the wrong fish for us worriers!! Lol would y'all recommend leaving the light off for a couple more weeks ???I have 7 rummies and one Cory ... I know cories need more and I'm willing to add but I know I'm pushing it. (10g) I bought 7 and I still have 7 so I guess Im doing well.. And they are tank raised :) hopefully... Lol I'm afraid of them getting ick or something bc they are so scared of everything.. They don't even come out for food Mac :( tears.... They were doing better but I put a larger filter10-20 and new hood so the filter went to the other side and I just exchanged the lights so I think they are adjusting to that... I do need some light to check them over but I guess it be better to leave them be in the darkness for now :( - sigh-

I actually tricked my other fish with bloodworms during feeding time just so I could make sure the rummies were getting the flake i put in there. lol

Now the rummies just mix in with the community and enjoy the bloodworms and the flake. That was a happy day when I noticed them doing that so hang in there.

Good point on the tank vs. wild caught statement Severum. Ima quiz my LFS next time i am in there as to what they are carrying. :)

Thank u everyone ! Imma try not to worry... Those are the wrong fish for us worriers!! Lol would y'all recommend leaving the light off for a couple more weeks ???I have 7 rummies and one Cory ... I know cories need more and I'm willing to add but I know I'm pushing it. (10g) I bought 7 and I still have 7 so I guess Im doing well.. And they are tank raised :) hopefully... Lol I'm afraid of them getting ick or something bc they are so scared of everything.. They don't even come out for food Mac :( tears.... They were doing better but I put a larger filter10-20 and new hood so the filter went to the other side and I just exchanged the lights so I think they are adjusting to that... I do need some light to check them over but I guess it be better to leave them be in the darkness for now :( - sigh-

Flossie- dumb question, but did you put the old filter media into the new filter when you added it?

I'd recommend turning on the light every day, business as usual. They need to adapt eventually to the new surroundings, and they will before too long. They may be eating while you are not watching.

Many fish carry a low-level infestation of ich IMO. Stress will trigger an outbreak, as it weakens the fishes' immune systems and allows the parasite to get the upper hand. Just keep an eye on them for now.

severum mama said:
Flossie- dumb question, but did you put the old filter media into the new filter when you added it?

I'd recommend turning on the light every day, business as usual. They need to adapt eventually to the new surroundings, and they will before too long. They may be eating while you are not watching.

Many fish carry a low-level infestation of ich IMO. Stress will trigger an outbreak, as it weakens the fishes' immune systems and allows the parasite to get the upper hand. Just keep an eye on them for now.

Yeah I just transferred the filter media :) important question :)

I thought about that with the lights but when that one literally buried himself under the bridge I felt bad and fear he wouldn't have made it if I were not there to move the bridge.. He was head first in the sand! Scared me to death!!! Lol they act like they don't know what to do.

Is it ok to turn the light on when they are stressed so bad? I know u have great advice so I'm Listening

I am really afraid of ick especially since I have that Cory in there :(

Jammer89 said:
I actually tricked my other fish with bloodworms during feeding time just so I could make sure the rummies were getting the flake i put in there. lol

Now the rummies just mix in with the community and enjoy the bloodworms and the flake. That was a happy day when I noticed them doing that so hang in there.

Good point on the tank vs. wild caught statement Severum. Ima quiz my LFS next time i am in there as to what they are carrying. :)

I can't wait until mine settle! They really are beautiful fish !!!

-Mac- said:
Oh and don't feel badly about not seeing your babies. When Mr. & Mrs. Smith stick their noses out, I pretty much jump around and clap with excitement. It's like a treat every time I see them. I've been known to stare at my tank for 30 minutes, waiting for that elusive glimpse; though now I just cheat and loiter at breakfast and dinner. Guaranteed sightings, then. :D

Btw I love their names :) hehe an u sound like me Mac!!! Haha

New lights are really bright! I'm pretty sure they really hate me now!!! Lol

Attachments

• image-1239897705.jpg
    image-1239897705.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 101
  • image-1685885702.jpg
    image-1685885702.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 102
  • image-1776214013.jpg
    image-1776214013.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 118