AC 50 Extra Bio Max or Sponge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deacon22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,

I just got rid of the carbon media in my AC 50. I was wondering what would be the better set up. I recently read somewhere that an extra sponge on the top would be the better set up.

So right now I have a sponge on the bottim, bio max in the middle and a sponge on the top. Is this fine? OR should I have gone with the sponge on the bottom and one bag loaded with two sets of bio max?

Thanks

Go with another sponge, or better yet ... IMO ... a wad of 100% Polyfill to really give the water good final polish. Actually, last night my Fluval 404 pumped it's last water. After trying in vain to keep it going for the last week (actually been the last couple of months)
had to go with a Fluval C4 HOB. So overnight I went from a Canister to two (had an extra marineland) HOB's on my 75gal.

So what I did was I took the filter sponges and ceramic rings from my 404 and stuffed the two HOB's. This morning, my fish and bamboo shrimped looked the same as always.

jcolon said:
Go with another sponge, or better yet ... IMO ... a wad of 100% Polyfill to really give the water good final polish. Actually, last night my Fluval 404 pumped it's last water. After trying in vain to keep it going for the last week (actually been the last couple of months)
had to go with a Fluval C4 HOB. So overnight I went from a Canister to two (had an extra marineland) HOB's on my 75gal.

So what I did was I took the filter sponges and ceramic rings from my 404 and stuffed the two HOB's. This morning, my fish and bamboo shrimped looked the same as always.

I agree with Jcolon, the poly foam, it will pick up all the fine debris. I use it in my AC110 on my 75 gallon mixed African Cichlid tank. You'd be surprised at what it picks up.

Filter Media

Hey guys,

I just got rid of the carbon media in my AC 50. I was wondering what would be the better set up. I recently read somewhere that an extra sponge on the top would be the better set up.

So right now I have a sponge on the bottim, bio max in the middle and a sponge on the top. Is this fine? OR should I have gone with the sponge on the bottom and one bag loaded with two sets of bio max?

Thanks

Hello Dea...

If you want the best filter medium to use in place of the chemical stuff (carbon), then get a type of polyfiber. It's sold in large, cut-to-fit pieces. I use it in all my tanks. The fiber is thin, but dense and attracts and holds floating particles in the tank water. Keeps the water crystal clear. The stuff is inexpensive and reuseable.

Get some of the fiber and remove and replace half the water in the tank every week and your tank will be "top drawer". You don't need an extra biomax bag.

B

If your tank is established, get some Seachem purigen. The stuff is fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom