Acclimating my fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claireabigailq

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi! I was wondering what the best way to acclimate my fish to their new tank! I am starting a betta sorority and I am also having a bristle nose pleco all together in a 20 gallon tank, I was wondering if you guys could tell me the best way to introduce them all! Thanks!

Well there is a bag floating method where you float for 20mims and had water gradually. Then there is the the drip method where you us air line tubing

For almost all fw fish the float and add water technique works great. Only really sensitive fw fish need to be dripped IMO.

Most fish can be acclimated in the bag but all fish will benefit from the slow drip line acclimation be they hardy or delicate. I got in the habit of using a drip line in the 80's when I got into saltwater tanks. I have found over the years that using a drip line on all fish ensures a slow acclimation period which is very good for all fish.

Float and add some/remove some/repeat has worked for me 100% of the time with non-shipped fish. I'll spend a good hour at it with more sensitive fish, less with hardy species. I had one that was so stressed about being in a bag that I just netted and transferred right off the bat. It did fine and made me wonder how necessary any of it is. But hey, it made me feel better that I wasn't shocking the fish.

I usually add the new fish after a water change, so I float the bag for about an hour, then put the fish with the water they came in, into my WC bucket that has some of the treated water left in it. After about 10 mins, I net transfer the fish into the main tank. It's just what is easiest for me...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I float for half an hour then use a pipette to drip my tank water in over the course of an hour then position my net of a bucket out the fish out of the bag in to the net then immediately in to my tank.

I rushed a bit with my latest addition and it stayed up top for a day. Thought it was poorly then after a day it was fine but just highlights the importance of acclimating properly. I also leave the tank lights of for a day.

Back
Top Bottom