Acrylic or glass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swimwithme

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone have experience with acrylic tanks? I am looking at a 40 gallon Seaclear, but then there is the Seaclear System II. What is the difference? Besides the price? :confused:
Help!

acrylic won't crack. Glass can crack

acrylic scratches very easily. Glass is scratch-free.

acrylic is less heavy. Glass weights alot more.

acrylic tanks can be molded into various shapes (bowfronts, cylindrical etc..). Glass designs are more limited.

acrylic tanks have better insulation and retain more heat. So there is less temperature fluctuations

that's all i can think of at the top of my head....

Sorry. I should have been more specific. I meant to ask what the difference between the seaclear and seaclear system II is. But I think it is that the seaclear system II has the filter built in, but I could very well be wrong.

based on personal experience - acrylic tanks are better for VERY LARGE tanks (over 200 gallons). They are alot safer and they don't require braces or seams.

They are also better if you want a custom designed aquarium to fit in your home, that isn't your standard size or conventional shape.

For smaller tanks, I prefer glass. They don't scratch, they look more expensive (acrylic looks "plastic") and they don't fade over time. Acrylic tanks tend to become more opaque and less transparent.

Bubble_B0y said:

acrylic tanks can be molded into various shapes (bowfronts, cylindrical etc..). Glass designs are more limited.

acrylic tanks have better insulation and retain more heat. So there is less temperature fluctuations

Is glass not supposed to scratch? Oops I have scratches!

Acrylic looks cheap to me. I like glass.

Back
Top Bottom