Acrylic Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmuree

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just purchased a 90 gal acrylic tank and was wondeiring if there is any special precautions or cleaning methods that I should be aware of compared to a glass tank

I think it scratches a lot easier than glass, so just be careful when adding gravel or substrate and during cleanings

Buy and use only cleaning stuff made for acrylic tanks.

And be careful that there are no dust particles between the cloth and the tank walls.

and please don't use magnetic cleaners, they will destroy it.

Pete

Nice thanks, I didn't know that. I haven't had to use a cleaner yet on my tank but read about the magnets and was going to buy one when I needed it. What should we use instead?

My tank is acrylic and yes it scratches VERY easily. I have some scratches on there that I have no idea how they got there, although I'm guessing maybe the siphon hitting/rubbing the tank during changes. I heard microfiber cloths can get rid of the scratches, is that true, or can anything fix them? I don't have too many yet but if I get many more it's going to start to look hideous.

There are aquarium scrattch kits designed for acrylic, but they maybe be a little pricy

Back
Top Bottom