activated carbon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Do I need activated carbon all the time in my filters? I've read many posts that indicate that it loses it's 'activity' rather quickly. Most of my filters have activated carbon in the replacement cartridges, which would lead me to believe that activated carbon is a continuously necessary thing. I've read many posts that indicate that activated carbon is removed during medication to keep medicines from being removed or added to remove medications. In my Aquaclear 200, I'd rather just place a bag of ceramic media over the sponge and have have that much more area for bacteria colonization and biological filtration. I do not seem to have that choice with my Penguin and Tetra filters b/c all the cartridges come with activated carbon. But that Aquaclear has a huge bag of carbon that takes up space that could be used for something else.

After the AC soaks up all the impurities it can, it essentially becomes ineffective. You do not need it in your tank, and alot of people don't use it at all.

What is floss? Is it a different filter media that can be added for mechanical filtration? What do you think about adding more ceramic nodules for more bacteria surface area? BTW you guys are on the ball this morning. Thanks! :wink:

Okay. I checked out the floss at Big Al's. Do you just buy floss in 'bulk' rolls and cut out what fits your filter? I need feedback on floss now.

Talk about on the ball! You just did what I did...LOL.

Yeah, you cut out the size you need. Since this is probably the cheapest media out there, buy it in bulk and toss when you do your filter maintenance. :D

floss is a cotton-like material that is made out of 100% polyester so it can catch very fine particals yet not rot. you can get more/cheaper batting (exactly the same as floss but used for quilts and blankets) at walmart than a lesser amount of floss at your lfs.

Hot dog!!!!!!!!! I'm heading to Wally World (uh, that's what we call walmart). :multi::onfire: :wave:

Now. Can someone tell me if adding ceramic rings over this floss will be a help for bacteria. I'm gonna ditch my 2 Tetra Whisper 30s and go with 2 Aquaclear 200s. This will pump-up my 29 gallon black to 500 gph and my 29 gallon oak to 550 gph and give me more media options to boot. I'll put floss over the sponges and put the ceramic rings (in nylon bags of course) over the floss. I've already got the new Penguin BioWheels on all my tanks (except for the QT that I'll be breaking down soon).

its a aqua-clear HOB JC it just has a big open basket you can do almost anything you want with it..LOL. I have a 500 and If you wanted you could run a refugium on a small reef setup with the thing..LOL. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Now that's what I'm talking about. I'm gonna fold up this pillow stuffing, uh, I mean floss, and put it over the sponge. Then I'm gonna put a bag of already inoculated ceramic media over the pillow stuffing, :bad-words: I did it again, floss and voila. Something?

personally i like to keep the carbon in my filter because it does absorb some impurities that aren't filtered out. Of course some say it loses its activity after about 72 hours.. i don't know, i usually replace mine every month though.

Well, I figure since carbon comes in my Penguin filters anyway, I'll be getting some of that regardless.

A word of caution when buying floss at wallyworld or elsewhere. Just make sure that the floss IS NOT the flame retardent stuff. The flame retardent stuff has chemicals in it so it doesn't go up in a ball of flame and I'm sure those chemicals are not good for fish. The other stuff is fine to use. The stuff that is flame retardent should have a label on it somewhere that says it "meets california flammability requirements" or something along those lines.

Thanks penpitt! That's good advice! I saw some in the lfs today that was cheap and looked easy to use so I've been holding off on wallyworld. Thanks a bunch.

Back
Top Bottom