Added Albino Cory Cat....please advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WRLeGrand

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Good evening, this is my first post!

I started a 13-gallon tank for my little boy back in August. I am admittedly a newbie to the world of aquariums and have had my ups and downs learning everything that goes into making it a happy and healthy environment. Thankfully, only one fish has died and that occurred after I had my tank cycled and ammonia levels in check.

With that said, I currently have 4 male Platys. They all get along tremendously. However, still a lot of food falls to the bottom. Tonight I purchased an Albino Cory Catfish (fairly little guy) at the recommendation of the pet store employee. My son absolutely love him, with the color and level of activity.

I was just doing more research and see where some people say they need to be in groups of 3 minimum. Some say they are fine alone. So I guess here are my two questions:

-Can he live alone, or do I need to get at least 2 more?
-If I need more, can my tank sustain that many fish?

Please no bashing or anything like that. I will do what is best for the fish and will make sure to take care of them, whatever I need to do!

Thank you so much!

Well I have had 1 albino Cory before and it did fine but if you get 2 the 3 of them will school together it's pretty cool but you can put two more Corys in there I have four panda Corys in my ten gallon

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Give it places to hide and you have a better chance of him being happy.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There's a thread going on in freshwater general discussion right now titled "mixing different types of Cory cats" there is good info in there that you could find helpful

Just about any schooling fish will "do fine" by itself, and in an improper school by extension. Doesn't make it right. But that's up to you to decide. 3 is the BAREST of bare minimums suggested. By far the most common suggestion is 6. 10 is a good place to start IMO. In my experience 10-15 is where you really see a difference in behavior over 4-6. Of course not everyone can provide that, and I have some schools that are smaller than that. Life happens and it isn't always perfect. However, it is my opinion that if you have to sacrifice school size to "fit" them into your tank, they don't belong in your tank.

So the question you must ask yourself is this - am I the type to provide as little as possible? If you are, then you've got nothing to worry about. If you're not, then you've got some decisions to make. That all being said, keeping fish is all about compromises. No tank or school size is truly big enough - seems silly to make a distinction between 6 and 10 when fish swim in schools hundreds and thousands strong. But in my experience there's a difference between 3 and 6, and 6 and 12, which is why I think it's important to provide as large of a school as possible.

In a ten gallon I would not do more than three or four

I definitely do not want to be the person who just "does the minimum" just to have the enjoyment of the one fish, if he is not happy. He does seem to be swimming at the top and sides more than I would have anticipated...does that mean anything?

Secondly, I am definitely willing to bring the number of Albino Cory Catfish in my tank up to 3, IF IF IF my tank can handle it. Can a 13 gallon handle 4 Platies and 3 Cory Cats? It seems like a lot...Would I be better served to go with a pair, so at least he has one of his kind?

Again, thank you for all of the advice! I know you guys have much more experience and I am learning a lot from these forums!

I have 4 panda Corys in my ten gallon 4 kuhlis 3 zebra fish 3 guppies 2 honey gouramis and a Kribensis so to answer your question yes that will be fine

I have 4 panda Corys in my ten gallon 4 kuhlis 3 zebra fish 3 guppies 2 honey gouramis and a Kribensis so to answer your question yes that will be fine

Although what you just listed would be pretty overstocked, four platys and 4 corys would be fine. :)

I agree, it's a lot of fish - not something I would suggest anyone do, but if it works for you great. I know my kribs territory is bigger than 10 gallons.

Water changes and filtration cannot make up for a lack of space.

That is not recommended stocking levels. It may be working for you, but it's not ideal.

To the OP ; 3 Cories total, should be ok for now. Consider adding some easy live plants and feed the Platies less. Your Cories will also need their own sinking food at least some of the time.
I use Omega One
Catfish wafers, probably just a piece.
Shrimp Pellets
Frozen/thawed Tubifex Worms or Brine Shrimp. I use a cup of tank water, thaw the frozen food and then using a Turkey Baster I can feed Platies first, then direct food right to the Cories.

Give the Cories some hiding spots, but nothing they can get stuck in. No hollow ornaments that have narrow hollows going up.

Gravel Vacuum a section at a time each week, avoiding any plant roots.

In the future, pygmy Cory species are a better option. They stay about an inch full grown. I had C habrosus
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417969653.249576.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417969879.920087.jpg

They are a little more sensitive and prefer live plants and sand. But keep them in mind.

This is why we like sand for Cories :)
http://youtu.be/tPOvOije4vQ future upgrade perhaps [emoji106]

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, it's a lot of fish - not something I would suggest anyone do, but if it works for you great. I know my kribs territory is bigger than 10 gallons.

Water changes and filtration cannot make up for a lack of space.

Kribensis only have territory problem if there breeding

So I went ahead and got two more Albinos. Is it normal for them to basically cower or hide in the corner together? The first one is still swimming and eating at everything. They move when he comes over...thanks again!

My Corys did that they will warm up to there new home just give them a place to hide

Back
Top Bottom