Adding 4 panda cories to our tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragon14

Aquarium Advice Addict
We have a 10g cycled tank.

We really like catfish...

Our tank has 2 filters (maybe overkill, but we like it :p) an aquenon 10 and an AquaTech 10-20 that a friend of ours gave to us. We also have a bubbler (run for a couple hours a day usually). 100w heater. Black sand. We've been doing a 50% water change every other week for the most part, but, we are planning to start doing about a 2-2.5g change once a week instead of 5-6g change every other week. And one 50% change once a month.

Current stock:
8 pygmy catfish
4 amano shrimp
1 male guppy

Would 4 panda cories be too many? We don't want to get less than that, because they'd be happier in a group. Mostly we are concerned about everyone getting along; we can change water more often if need be. We love our little pygmys, but they lay around most of the time. They're pretty lazy lol. sometimes they shoal around midlevel and it is soooo cute :p

On AquaAdvisor, with the 4 panda cories and what we currently have, we'd be stocked at 105%.

Thoughts? :)

Hi dragon!
I personally wouldn't recommend keeping "standard" size cories in a ten gallon. They utilize a lot of space and appreciate a larger environment. Four is kind of pushing it for group size, six or more is better.
I found that adding Habrosus to my smaller tank really perked up the pygmies, and they're cool fish. I would suggest trying them or hastatus instead of pandas :)

Thanks for the reply!

They had habrosus once. We went to get them later on and they were gone :(. Never seen hastasus in person.

We want some pandas and I figured it wouldn't be ideal w our tank but maybe could work. Thanks again for the reply :)

Getting a 20g this afternoon and moving everyone over and getting some pandas too...

:)

Project for my night off!!!

Our pygmaeus are lazy little things. We love them and they're cute, but, swimming around shoaling is a bit on the rare side sometimes :( We've lost about 4-5 of them too. :( One right now is really pale but been that way for a few weeks, another has a shredded dorsal fin.

Anyway, we got a 20g tank kit & are gonna get our little pandas on Sunday so long as they are still there :) Gonna move everything in the morning...

Our pygmaeus are lazy little things. We love them and they're cute, but, swimming around shoaling is a bit on the rare side sometimes :( We've lost about 4-5 of them too. :( One right now is really pale but been that way for a few weeks, another has a shredded dorsal fin.

Anyway, we got a 20g tank kit & are gonna get our little pandas on Sunday so long as they are still there :) Gonna move everything in the morning...

Then something is wrong with them !
Have you tested your water ???

I'd do a large partial water change.
I would never add new fish, if Im losing fish and don't know why.

My pygmaeus are very active. They do perch on leaves, but they are always playful and hover mid water or scoot around the bottom.

Shredded dorsal ? Is some fish attacking them or stressing them ?

I have 4 pygmaeus and haven't lost a single one.

What are you feeding them ?

Mine get frozen baby brine shrimp
Omega One shrimp pellets
Rapashy gel foods
Omega one color flakes
Hikari micro pellets

Mine are in an unheated 72f heavily planted tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Waters fine. Algae had been annoying but we've cleaned it. Not sure what to do about the decorations though.

May have exaggerated a little. They scoot around some and stuff, but they seem to lay around a good deal. Last few days lotsa cute mid level swimming.

The shredded fin one. Looks like a white dot between the fin. It's weird.

The ones that died, the first three we thought was due to the female betta. But then another one died a little after we removed her (she has her own tank now). Tail looked bit off. A little red on the body one or two of them. Not all of them. Been feeding Omega One micro pellets. Color and veggie kind. Veggie has fish meat in too tho.

We didn't get the pandas yet.

Heated around 76f.

Coursair
We are quarantining him and treating w melafix and pimafix. The white thing between the shredded area looks like a tiny cotton ball :(. It's a 1.75 g (2g technically) tank we bought when we got our first betta.

They're hard to catch. We got him when we put the rest of the Pygmies back in the tank. Not sure if we could have gotten him otherwise.

Unless one of his own, the guppy or a shrimp attacked him, I don't think anyone is bullying.

Panda cories don't get as big as your average cories. I have had mine for six months now and they are half the size of my peppered cories.

I wish I had not treated him. Shoulda left him in the tank. Other than the weird fin he was acting fine. He died a couple hours after being put into the quarantine tank with the medicine. I think I killed him with the melafix and/or pima fix :( I am upset that we lost him. and we lost a shrimp, probably climbed out of the tank :( ::sigh::

Also, since being moved to the 20g tank, the pygmies have been active ALL afternoon. Swimming around and shoaling... so adorable....

Panda cories don't get as big as your average cories. I have had mine for six months now and they are half the size of my peppered cories.

How big are yours? We were thinking they were about an inch and a half to two and a half inches. They're quite a bit bigger than the pygmies.

I think we are going to get 6-8 pandas, 3 or so more pygmies, and 3 more amano shrimp, and be done.

yes, we like catfish :p

I wish I had not treated him. Shoulda left him in the tank. Other than the weird fin he was acting fine. He died a couple hours after being put into the quarantine tank with the medicine. I think I killed him with the melafix and/or pima fix :( I am upset that we lost him. and we lost a shrimp, probably climbed out of the tank :( ::sigh::

Also, since being moved to the 20g tank, the pygmies have been active ALL afternoon. Swimming around and shoaling... so adorable....

Cories are scaleless. Even if meds don't warn you, I only dose 1/2 dose on Cories.

Sorry you lost him. Sounds like a bite wound or maybe injured himself ?

I hope you don't lose anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I did know that, thank you :). I tried to halve it. It's hard w such a small amount of water. About 2g. I used just under 1/8tsp for both Meds. We tried to help him but. Being in his new home w his friends probably would have been better. Poor fish :(. Didn't even get to be in his new home but underwent the stress of being moved.

I doubt anyone bit him. So weird. He could have injured himself.

Thank you.

:)
Mmm. They have them at the petstore and we fell in love. Probably getting some tomorrow. We want 6-8. Not sure if we should get 4 then 2 or another 4 or get em all at once. Don't want to overwhelm the tank and bio filter.

Back
Top Bottom