Adding a new filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VioletEmber

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am eventually setting up a 33g tank and I went ahead and got a filter for it and I want to run it on my 20 to get it all nice and bacteria-y. (leaving the current filter on the 20 running of course). So how long would it take for the new filter to be seeded enough to help cycle the new tank?

And am I even right in thinking that a seeded filter drastically reduces the time it takes a new tank to cycle? Fish in or fishless...

VioletEmber said:
I am eventually setting up a 33g tank and I went ahead and got a filter for it and I want to run it on my 20 to get it all nice and bacteria-y. (leaving the current filter on the 20 running of course). So how long would it take for the new filter to be seeded enough to help cycle the new tank?

And am I even right in thinking that a seeded filter drastically reduces the time it takes a new tank to cycle? Fish in or fishless...

Yes, you are right. 2 weeks minimum IMO but the longer the better.

Thanks! That gives me plenty of time to rearrange my entire apartment to figure out where I'm going to put it.. ;)

Back
Top Bottom