Adding Driftwood during cycle ~ is this a no no?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littlelouie

Aquarium Advice Freak
My Tank is going through the nitrogen cycle and I would like to know if adding my driftwood now would be ok.

6 Gallon tank with 5 cardinal tetras and 1 clown loach
Temp = 26.5 deg cel
pH7.3
Ammonia: 0.05ppm
Nitrite: 0.016ppm

The driftwood has been soaking in a bucket of water for 4 days with the water being changed daily.

:wink: Louise

A clown loach won't fit in a 6 gallon for long.
As far as adding driftwood during the cycle, there is nothing wrong with it. It really makes no difference what so ever. :D
Justin :arrow:

Thanks guy's. Most appreciated :p

Do most fish benefit from driftwood?

I have a clown loach and would like to add 2 baby bristlenose to the tank in a mths time (once the cycle has completed) and as bottom dwellers am unsure if they'll fight. Pls advise.

Louise :wink:

Hate to be rude but here's the deal.

It's a 6 gallon tank, you shouldn't even have the loach in there its going to get way too big, pretty darn fast. adding plecos would just compound the problem. keep the 5 cardinals, get a couple more little fish, tetras for instance, and take the loach back to the shop. That size tank will not work for that many fish, plain and simple. Sorry, but if you want those fish, I'd get a 20 gallon or larger tank.

Thanks corvuscorax, I appreciate your input :wink: (I don't think it rude at all)

It's the trouble I have had before joining this great forum and unfortunately I was none the wiser when I got the loach. I get pretty frustrated when all the LFS here are more interested in selling fish than making sure they go to the correct home.

Having explained to the LFS guy which fish I wanted and which order I should introduce them to the tank he contradicted the info I had. He knew what size tank I had & advised that a clown loach would go perfectly. I hadn't really known about these fish before then (only heard the name). I got it only on LFS advice.

I love my fish, they make me very happy. And I love the clown loach, such wonderfully beautiful fish to have. The cardinals are great too :D

After reading the posts above yours, I added the driftwood and the tank looks excellent. So natural and the inhabitants are loving it too. Their colours seem to be brighter (and I think they're all smiling :p )

The aquarium I bought the fish from is quite a long way away so taking the loach back may be more stressful than keeping him. I think that if I look after the guy's I have and not add anymore to the tank except some java moss & java fern the community should do just fine.

It is an unfortunate situation I am in and my naivety got me here. I really do appreciate all the feedback I have received and will be asking before I buy in the future.

btw...LFS/aquarium owners/staff should be more responsible in what they sell people. From what I have learnt now I don't think that a few simple question about tank size, water quality, type of fish in tank etc. could go astray. Even a policy of checking a sample of tank water before the customer can buy wouldn't be too much trouble. But then maybe they would not sell enough "replacement" fish. (MHO of my LFS)

Thanks again for the info :D
Louise

IMO, most LFS don't HAVE the knowledgable staff they need... or they are buisy and don't take the time to make sure their fish will be happy in their life-long envoroment. My very first tank was a disaster because of a problem similar to yours. Check your local news paper, and yard sales for a larger tank, your loach will love you for it! Pl*cos need about 50gallons minimum of their own tank space... have you seen how HUGE those buggers get? One of my LFS has one that would stand up to my waist if he could. The whole "they only grow as big as the space they have" is partly true... if you give a loach a 5 gallon tank, once he grows so big, he'll get stressed and die... so really it DID only grow as big as the space he had... but with a very shortened lifespan. :( Trust me... fish are addictive... I started with a 45 gallon, then I HAD to have a 10 gallon quarentine... then I inherited a 50 gallon. Just be careful and re-seal any tanks that are old, or have been sitting in empty but previously used condition before you fill them. Not too hard to do, and a great DIY way to save $.

Thanks ashesofyou

I discussed the loach with my husband and we will stay with this tank for the time being and will get a larger tank and use the sys 6 as a quarentine tank :wink:

I wish I had found this site earlier.

Thank you all :)
Louise

Some of our staff here work at fish stores, so please don't lump all LFS employees together. Having said that, as in any retail store, you have people who know more, others who know less, and the utter morons. :lol:

My best advice is to avoid impulse buying. go to the shop with specifics in mind, don't let anyone talk you into something else. Even call first, make sure they have what you want.

Believe you me, I've made a heck of a lot of mistakes in this hobby, knowledge and research is your best defense against unscrupulous retailers. Also, you find a good LFS, support it!

There only used to be one LFS where I live, and it was shocking. Fortunately one has just recently been set up, and it only sells fish(it's not a pet shop). If you like bottom dwellers, you could get some type of corydoras. They are only small and have personalities!! I love them!! I can only afford a 10gallon aquarium, so I also have the problem of buying fish that may get too large. I actually currently have 2 tiny angelfish, and will take them back to the shop when they get to about 8-10cms(about 3 inchs I think :lol: ).
Yeh, driftwood really makes an aquarium look real attractive and naTural. I hope your tank fairs well and you really enjoy it, I know I do!
Justin

Talking of fish shops - we are really lucky in Hertfordshire, UK - we have some great shops.

However if ever we drive somewhere/ visit friends we also pop into other LFS to admire their fish etc. However lots have quite high proportions of dying or dead fish. Eg a tank of 50 fish with one or two dead/ dying.

Is this because:
they are over-stocked
they have just arrived at the fish shop after a long journey
different fish are tricky
it is old age/ probability with that number of fish

Just wondering - it is not the kind of question you can ask them . Should we be put off by those LFS with dead fish or is it jut a fact of commercial fish life- especially when they are busy at the weekends?

Once I find one corvuscorax I most certainly will :wink:

And zephyr, your comments are appreciated, I love the look of the driftwood in the tank and the fish love it too!

Thanks all for your input.
Louise

fishweed said:
Talking of fish shops - we are really lucky in Hertfordshire, UK - we have some great shops.

However if ever we drive somewhere/ visit friends we also pop into other LFS to admire their fish etc. However lots have quite high proportions of dying or dead fish. Eg a tank of 50 fish with one or two dead/ dying.

Is this because:
they are over-stocked
they have just arrived at the fish shop after a long journey
different fish are tricky
it is old age/ probability with that number of fish

Just wondering - it is not the kind of question you can ask them . Should we be put off by those LFS with dead fish or is it jut a fact of commercial fish life- especially when they are busy at the weekends?

Where in Hertfordshire do you recommend? I've just moved close to Hemel Hempstead and there's there decent stores
1. Pets at home in Apsley
2. Maidenhead aquatics in st Albans
3. Don't know the name but there's a garden just on the outskirts of hemel Hempstead

Back
Top Bottom