Adding fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishperson

Aquarium Advice Addict
I plan to go to the store tomorrow and get more fish for my 20H.
Right now I have 5 bloodfin tetras, but I plan to end up with 7+ bloodfins, 7+ rummynose tetras, and 1 bolivian ram. Like I said, it is a 20H, and it has a tetra wisper 30 filter, and an aqueon submersible aquarium 100watt heater. I have 4 problems:
1. Is my tank established enough for the rummynose? I added fish on march 8. I fishless cycled it with ammonia by the way.

2. My ph is about 7.7. Is that too high for rummynose?

3. How many fish can I have total? I want rummynose, and bloodfin, with a school of 7 bloodfins, and as many rummynose as possible, along with 1 bolivian ram. And how many fish can I add at a time, with how long in between?

4. When should I:
- Change the filter sponge/pad/media/thing-you-put-in-the-filter-that-you-change-every-month-or-so
- Vacuum the gravel
- Change the water

I can has new at fish.

If your tank has completely cycled; 0 ammonia/nitrites, <20 nitrates, then you should, IMO, be doing a weekly 50%+ water change with a good vacuum. When you have used tank water in a bucket, take your filter media & swish/squeeze it in the used tank water - DO NOT REPLACE filter media unless it is absolutely falling apart.
As for adding fish, the typical recommnedation is 3-4 a week so your BB isn't too overloaded & hopefully won't throw you into a mini cycle.
Ph is usually nothing to worry about unless you have extremely sensitive fish or want to breed.
I'm not commenting on your overall stocking because I'm not experienced with those fish. :)

Ok, thank you. Do you think it is established enough though?
I am doing a 25-50% wc every weekend. I did a 10 gallonish wc on monday.

Can't u get the water tested at your LFS?

Water change- Start doing it every week then build it up until around 5 weeks.

Gravel clean- When it looks dirty but it's recommended about every 1+1/2 week? Could be a bit wrong there.

Don't clean your gravel completely. Only clean half at a time. A lot of your beneficial bacteria live in your substrate as well as your filter media. Rummynoses are going to be your most sensitive fish to water conditions of the ones you listed. 7.7 pH is borderline high for Rummys but I think they would get used to it. Just take plenty of time (1 to 3 hours of slowly changing the water from their bag to your tank water a little at a time.
Good Luck. Caudially, OS.

I plan to go to the store tomorrow and get more fish for my 20H.
Right now I have 5 bloodfin tetras, but I plan to end up with 7+ bloodfins, 7+ rummynose tetras, and 1 bolivian ram. Like I said, it is a 20H, and it has a tetra wisper 30 filter, and an aqueon submersible aquarium 100watt heater. I have 4 problems:
1. Is my tank established enough for the rummynose? I added fish on march 8. I fishless cycled it with ammonia by the way.

2. My ph is about 7.7. Is that too high for rummynose?

3. How many fish can I have total? I want rummynose, and bloodfin, with a school of 7 bloodfins, and as many rummynose as possible, along with 1 bolivian ram. And how many fish can I add at a time, with how long in between?

4. When should I:
- Change the filter sponge/pad/media/thing-you-put-in-the-filter-that-you-change-every-month-or-so
- Vacuum the gravel
- Change the water

I can has new at fish.

Your desired stock list would pretty much put you at the limit in terms of fish. I'd probably suggest getting another filter to help deal with the bioload. Just as an example I have a planted 20h with 9 rummynose, 4 neons (remaining survivors, don't really want to add more), 1 GBR, and one honey gourami (these fish are moving to a 29g soon though). For filtration I have an Aquaclear 50 and an Aquaclear 20 on each side of the tank. For yours I'd suggest at least adding an Aquaclear 30 or Aquaclear 50 (they're around $25-$30 on Amazon).

My PH tests at about 8.2 out of the tap but with my driftwood and the addition of Indian almond leaves my PH is usually around 7.6~ so your rummynose would be fine. Remember when you add the rummynose to take their acclimation slowly.

I'd probably wait a few weeks between adding fish, with the Bolivian ram being added last. However you should be testing your water regularly to see how your BB is reacting to the changes in bioload. Sometimes when new fish are added your tank can go through a "mini-cycle". Assuming your test results read something like 0, 0, and >20 I'd shoot for around a water change of 40-50% once a week. The gravel should be vacuumed during each PWC too.

In terms of replacing your cartridges you should only do so when they're completely falling apart. At each water change you can pull out the cartridge and swish it around in the old tank water to clean it out a bit. Assuming you're using the Tetra brand cartridges I'd probably just eventually stop using those and instead use DIY filter material (sponge, bio rings, filter floss, purigen, etc) instead. Just as effective and much cheaper.

Are you planning on adding any plants to your tank?

I got 2 bloodfin tetras at the store. The tank with rummynose was under treatment, they will get more in on Thursday. One of the Bloodfins got his tail stuck in the net I used to put him in the tank. He was really shocked after that, but he is ok now. I am not getting any more filters. I have a filter rated for a 30 gallon tank!!

General rule of thumb is to get at least double what your tank size is, but your call. If you truly do stick with one filter then you'll want to be particularly vigilant with your water params when you are adding new stock or switching out filter material.

Back
Top Bottom