Adding fish, the entire school? Or few at a time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How should I add fish?

• Add the entire school

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Add only a few fish

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • There's another way

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Whale

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello :biglol:

I would like your thoughts on what I should do:

- add the minimum group size recommendation for secure feeling fish eg. 6 fish
or
- add just a few fish, maybe 2-3 so that I don't spike the ammonia levels.

I realize ammonia is harmful for fish and also a group too small and the fish can be insecure and/or stressed. :crazyeyes:

I have a 70L freshwater tank that has been cycled with fish food. (Pure ammonia is near impossible to find here)

Any help is appreciated
:thanks:

Fishless cycling usually prepares the tank to handle a full bioload. I'd say adding a school is fine. You can test and monitor ammonia for a few days but you should be good.

Caleb

Yes, a fishless cycle with pure ammonia will prepare a tank to handle a full bioload.

However, with fish food as the catalyst for cycling i would add smaller quantities of fish just to be safe.

So I guess mixed opinions, adding a school is fine. Also, add smaller quantities to be safe. Hmm haha

Depends what the fish are? 6 neons all at once no problem. 6 goldfish probably not a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Every time you add extra fish to a tank you may get a short mini cycle as the bacteria in the filter multiply to handle the increased loading. However, I still always add a reasonable sized group at a time to reduce stress levels. I feed sparingly, test daily and WC as needed. Prime is a good emergency treatment if the ammonia or nitrite does spike.
In a newly cycled tank if your ammonia level was 2 or greater before it converted it, and the nitrites, to zero in 24 hrs then I would feel confident that the tank would handle your 6 young rasboras. Just be vigilant.
Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

How high were you able to get the ammonia?

I never really got much of a reading... I put a ton of fish flakes in. But when I measured the ammonia it always read 0 - 0.25 ppm.

I'm just going to assume there's no bacteria and restart the cycle.
I'm trying to find a more consistent form of ammonia.

Every time you add extra fish to a tank you may get a short mini cycle as the bacteria in the filter multiply to handle the increased loading. However, I still always add a reasonable sized group at a time to reduce stress levels. I feed sparingly, test daily and WC as needed. Prime is a good emergency treatment if the ammonia or nitrite does spike.
In a newly cycled tank if your ammonia level was 2 or greater before it converted it, and the nitrites, to zero in 24 hrs then I would feel confident that the tank would handle your 6 young rasboras. Just be vigilant.
Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks, I'll try and go for 2 ppm or even more to be safe.

I never really got much of a reading... I put a ton of fish flakes in. But when I measured the ammonia it always read 0 - 0.25 ppm.

I'm just going to assume there's no bacteria and restart the cycle.
I'm trying to find a more consistent form of ammonia.

That's the main problem with cycling with food. It wouldn't be out of the question to start with 1 or 2 harlequins and slowly build the school up. The cycle is likely strong enough to handle that small of a bio load and harlequin rasbora are bulletproof fish.

If you still want to completely retry the cycle instead of using fish food put a cocktail shrimp in a nylon stocking and throw it into your tank. It's a time release form of ammonia that should put you on the right path.

That's the main problem with cycling with food. It wouldn't be out of the question to start with 1 or 2 harlequins and slowly build the school up. The cycle is likely strong enough to handle that small of a bio load and harlequin rasbora are bulletproof fish.

If you still want to completely retry the cycle instead of using fish food put a cocktail shrimp in a nylon stocking and throw it into your tank. It's a time release form of ammonia that should put you on the right path.

Thanks, I'll try the shrimp.
Off-topic: how do I quote multiple posts in a comment?

Thanks, I'll try the shrimp.
Off-topic: how do I quote multiple posts in a comment?

On PC there's a "" symbol next to the quote button. On tapatalk there's a button on each post that lets you multi quote. Can't remember what it looks like.

Back
Top Bottom