Adding more fish to a recently cycled tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toasted Tyrant

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My new Fluval Edge 46l has finished cycling (fishless) and I have started stocking it with cardinal tetras. I wanted 5 but the assistant in my lfs said I should only take 3 to start with.

How can I tell when it will be ok to add more? Do I just keep up the water tests and check that ammonia and nitrite stay at 0 for a couple of days?

Yeah, that should be fine. If you cycled it fishless with ammonia you should have more than enough of a biofilter to handle the full load of fish; actually you'll want to do this sooner after the fishless cycle ends rather than later b/c over time the bacteria will adjust down to the level of fish you have in the tank. So test it for a couple of days and if nitrite and ammonia stay at 0 then I would say it's OK to add the other fish. For a 12 gal though I'm not sure cardinals are the best choice long-term as they can grow up to 2" and are pretty active.

Thanks. I had wondered about the size of the cardinals. I expect that I'll be getting a larger tank in the next 6 months. At what size should I move them? 1.5"? How quickly do they grow?

Back
Top Bottom