Adding plants to 10g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
& I've read mixed things about snails.. I want to get some but I don't know if they help or damage the tank.. anyone know about snails?

picture_117 said:
& I've read mixed things about snails.. I want to get some but I don't know if they help or damage the tank.. anyone know about snails?

What type?

picture_117 said:
Any snails! I know there is Mystery snails & MTS or something? I read they help with moving the sand around.

Malaysian trumpet snails, pond snails, ramshorn snails, are the ones that can over-populate a tank FAST if you overfeed. Otherwise they can help clean algae, and remove dead plants. Apple and mystery snails don't do much lol, but look cool! Those two will also over-populate if you overfeed. The best ones are nerites. They don't breed in freshwater, and have awesome colors! Plus, they are algae eating machines! Those are the herbivorous snails. Assassin snails will eat other snails like pond, ramshorn, and MTS, and help keep the population in check. Also, I don't think they breed in freshwater either.

Thanks for all the info! I think Nerites are what I want (y)

and they may spawn but the eggs will only hatch in BW or SW, I'm liking these the more I read about them :thanks:

picture_117 said:
Thanks for all the info! I think Nerites are what I want (y)

No prob. I'm looking into 3 zebra nerites for my 30 gallon! One for every ten gallons is the rule I go by. That way there's less competition for food.

Malaysian trumpet snails, pond snails, ramshorn snails, are the ones that can over-populate a tank FAST if you overfeed. Otherwise they can help clean algae, and remove dead plants. Apple and mystery snails don't do much lol, but look cool! Those two will also over-populate if you overfeed. The best ones are nerites. They don't breed in freshwater, and have awesome colors! Plus, they are algae eating machines! Those are the herbivorous snails. Assassin snails will eat other snails like pond, ramshorn, and MTS, and help keep the population in check. Also, I don't think they breed in freshwater either.
assassins actually do breed in freshwater,just not as prolificallly as some other species.

alLexX said:
assassins actually do breed in freshwater,just not as prolificallly as some other species.

Cool! That was the one thing I wasn't quite sure about lol. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom