Adding rocks/stones to your aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tamtam

Aquarium Advice Addict
I remember being told that you shouldn't add "random" rocks to your tank. Like polished stones bought from a store or things picked up from a beach or river. I'm just curious if anyone can tell me if there is any truth to this?

I'd love to add some stones/rocks for some more visual interest to my tank but all I see that aren't bigger decorations at the local pet store are those little "glass beads" the colored ones and I'd like to keep more natural looking tank.

I've read conflicting things from boiling them(or not doing it because of the risk of exploding rocks) to scrubbing repeatedly with hot water or using bleach while alternating with dechlorinater or even leaving them in the sun for 24 hours after using bleach/rinsing. Then I read stuff that says straight out no because there may be minerals in the rocks that could effect your tank/fish.

I'd love some personal experiences instead of just experimenting on my fish when I get them.

A good method of testing is a drop or two of white vinegar on the rock. If it fizzes, don't put it in. I've successfully bought vase/river rocks for sculptures and haven't had any problems. Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Don't boil them, can be very dangerous as air pockets can explode. I would put them in my sink, and pour boiling water OVER them and let it soak, maybe a scrub, another rinse. Air dry to deteriorate chlorine. Should be that simple but again, if somebody finds error in my statement please tell me!

Rocks like granite, slate or rounded quartz stones (river rocks) are fine. The vinegar trick is a way to test for carbonate rocks like limestone and or marble which could alter your ph if you have low ph tank.

I boil my rocks, but first ensure the don't have many fractured. Then I bring them to a boil and the after a few minutes at boiling, let the water cool of. Once it back to near room temp then I remove the rocks.

awesome! Thanks a lot. Looks like I need to grab some vinegar. I actually have none in the house thinking about it. lol.

awesome! Thanks a lot. Looks like I need to grab some vinegar. I actually have none in the house thinking about it. lol.

Before that, try scratching the rocks with a steel knife. It'll easily scratch carbonate rocks, but not granites or quartz otherwise the vinegar test is pretty reliable.

Also, true story. 99% of the time you could probably just give them a quick rinse in hot water to get the dirt off and they'd be totally fine.

Back
Top Bottom