Adding seeding material 5 days into a cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brittanykluss

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it safe to do? I got some filter juice (lol) from an established tank, can I put that in there? And if its still okay to put it in there where do I pour it? in my filter?

If by filter juice, you mean tank water, it's not going to help the cycle at all. Water contains no beneficial bacteria.

If they squeezed their filter out into some water it will be helpful. If it's just some water from another tank...it won't help at all.

You can try. It wouldn't hurt. It will probably only jump start the cycle if you have all of the filter media and place it into your new filter. Remember the bacteria need ammonia to stay alive.

If they squeezed their filter out into some water it will be helpful. If it's just some water from another tank...it won't help at all.

Do i pour it in my filter? Its the squeezed stuff from their filter sponge... if that make sense... they squeezed their filter sponger into a container and gave it to me.

brittanykluss said:
Its filter juice! LOL juice from the filter sponge squeezed out into a container.

That will contain some beneficial bacteria...but it's not going to make a dramatic difference. It will help a bit though.

In my experience adding things like filter squeezings, decorations or gravel from an established tank doesn't really cycle it...but it "seeds" the tank with beneficial bacteria to get the party started. If you can get the person to take a pair of scissors to their filter and give you a piece of it, that would be ideal since that's where most of the beneficial bacteria are.

Personally I'd pour the water over the filters in your tank...but I'm not sure that makes a big difference.

That will contain some beneficial bacteria...but it's not going to make a dramatic difference. It will help a bit though.

In my experience adding things like filter squeezings, decorations or gravel from an established tank doesn't really cycle it...but it "seeds" the tank with beneficial bacteria to get the party started. If you can get the person to take a pair of scissors to their filter and give you a piece of it, that would be ideal since that's where most of the beneficial bacteria are.

Personally I'd pour the water over the filters in your tank...but I'm not sure that makes a big difference.

Oh well ill throw it in since i have it haha.

I didn't add any seeded material until the 6th week of my cycle, by week 8 I was good!

When I went from a 35g to my 55g tank I used the gravel and filter from the 35g and about 6 gallons of the old water. I finished filling the tank and put the fish in in about 30 minutes. Worked perfectly and every fish is alive and well.

Back
Top Bottom