Adding substrate while cycling help!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Infamouz88

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi their, I'm having trouble with my fish tank. The problem is that when I started my tank a Lil over a month ago and my tank is still going through the fish in cycling stage. Ammonia is 0 nitrite is at 3 and nitrate at 0. I'm doing pwc to keep my fish from getting toxins. My questions is if I add more new gravel to my 20gallon tank will it throw off the cycling? I didn't add enough when I started the tank. I took a step back from asking an associate what I should do with a dirty filter. He suggested to clean it completely with hot water. I asked him if that would kill the good bacteria and he said no. Which it was false, my parameters were screwed up cuz of that. So question would be, would the new gravel hurt my fish and the cycling? If I do add it should I try to get the old gravel over the new gravel? Please help if you have any knowledge. I tried the search button and Google and no answers. Thanks in advanced.

It should be fine. Just more space for the BB to grow. Rinse it super well though.

That's something that I thought of but was wondering if it will make the cycling process longer?

Thanks for the help guys, I added ten lbs of gravel, washed it very well. It didn't make my tank cloudy thank God cuz that was another concern. Made my tank look more complete. Once again thank you!

Yep should be fine. Adding things during cycling is fine, it's taking stuff out that could cause problems. If your nitrite is at 3 though and you have fish I'd do more water changes to get that level down. Good luck!

Changing I would think it will restart the cycle since your taking the good bacteria out that was starting to be established in your gravel. As in my case I was adding "more new" gravel. After a few days I've checked my parameters and the results were ph:7.6 ammonia:0 nitrate:0 and nitrite: 5.0. I've been trying to keep my fish by doing daily water changes but the nitrite is still high. Any suggestions besides 30-50 water changes?

Infamouz88 said:
Changing I would think it will restart the cycle since your taking the good bacteria out that was starting to be established in your gravel. As in my case I was adding "more new" gravel. After a few days I've checked my parameters and the results were ph:7.6 ammonia:0 nitrate:0 and nitrite: 5.0. I've been trying to keep my fish by doing daily water changes but the nitrite is still high. Any suggestions besides 30-50 water changes?

I did this. My tank was two weeks into a cycle when I decided I wanted sand. Boom! Stall. So I upgraded my filter and started over.

For the nitrite phase, a little aquarium salt can be really beneficial to your fish. Prime helps detox nitrites. Are you using prime?

I took a step back from asking an associate what I should do with a dirty filter. He suggested to clean it completely with hot water. I asked him if that would kill the good bacteria and he said no. Which it was false, my parameters were screwed up cuz of that.

It's a good thing you'd been doing other research. I'd hesitate before asking this guy for any further instructions on maintaining a fish tank. :hide:

Yes I use prime every time I do a water change. Had tetra conditioner but I like prime way better. Do you know if adding aquarium salt which I have, harm my live plants and 2 mystery snails?

LyndaB said:
It's a good thing you'd been doing other research. I'd hesitate before asking this guy for any further instructions on maintaining a fish tank. :hide:

Yes every time I see him I'm like uhhh I'll take my fish and no questions today lol

Infamouz88 said:
Hi their, I'm having trouble with my fish tank. The problem is that when I started my tank a Lil over a month ago and my tank is still going through the fish in cycling stage. Ammonia is 0 nitrite is at 3 and nitrate at 0. I'm doing pwc to keep my fish from getting toxins. My questions is if I add more new gravel to my 20gallon tank will it throw off the cycling? I didn't add enough when I started the tank. I took a step back from asking an associate what I should do with a dirty filter. He suggested to clean it completely with hot water. I asked him if that would kill the good bacteria and he said no. Which it was false, my parameters were screwed up cuz of that. So question would be, would the new gravel hurt my fish and the cycling? If I do add it should I try to get the old gravel over the new gravel? Please help if you have any knowledge. I tried the search button and Google and no answers. Thanks in advanced.

Just saying wash it then throw it in a bucket and add stress coat or something like that it will stop tap water entering your tank

Banana mouse said:
Just saying wash it then throw it in a bucket and add stress coat or something like that it will stop tap water entering your tank

I didn't add stress coat just prime after I cleaned it a couple of times. Didn't do any harm to my tank. Parameters stayed the same and didn't fog up my tank either

Infamouz88 said:
I didn't add stress coat just prime after I cleaned it a couple of times. Didn't do any harm to my tank. Parameters stayed the same and didn't fog up my tank either

Yeah prime that's cool I just used stress coat as as example because I use that.
I just wanted to point it out as I made this mistake in the past.
Good luck :)

Banana mouse said:
Yeah prime that's cool I just used stress coat as as example because I use that.
I just wanted to point it out as I made this mistake in the past.
Good luck :)

Oh get you, but thanks for the heads up. Good thing that by making mistakes we learn!

Back
Top Bottom